• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

adding coax lowers SWR reading on the meter?

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
this goes against everything I have ever believed

well I added some coax between the meter and the antenna

tried a few different lengths, each time causing a different SWR reading on the meter... how is this possible?

BTW the longer one (about 2-3 foot) gave the lowest SWR reading

It's possible, and absolutely normal, because the load at the end of that feed line isn't the same impedance as that of the feed line used.
Change that "feed line" to "transmission line" and it holds true for anything/everything fed an alternating current. That means antennas, or amplifiers, or power lines, or audio devices, whatever.
- 'Doc

It's possible, and absolutely normal, because the load at the end of that feed line isn't the same impedance as that of the feed line used.
Change that "feed line" to "transmission line" and it holds true for anything/everything fed an alternating current. That means antennas, or amplifiers, or power lines, or audio devices, whatever.
- 'Doc

If your antenna is not tuned properly then adding or removing coax to match it is essentially causing the feed line to become part of the radiator. This isn't what youi want to happen. You want the power to be radiated by the antenna and NOT the coax.

Reactions: 3 people
What antenna it is really makes no difference. With that particular one you at least have a convenient way of changing it's input impedance. That set of rings do come in handy.
- 'Doc

this goes against everything I have ever believed

well I added some coax between the meter and the antenna

tried a few different lengths, each time causing a different SWR reading on the meter... how is this possible?

BTW the longer one (about 2-3 foot) gave the lowest SWR reading

I would tend to think that your antenna is not resonant at the frequency being used at, plot your swr range if you have free band capability to see where your bandwidth is then try to center your antenna to accommodate the radio.

ALSO I tested it with an 18 foot section of coax (RG58u) and got flat SWRs all across the band

Really! I would think the very opposite might happen with a short coax vs. a long coax. Plus an A99 typically has a very wide bandwidth of 3-4 mhz without radials if mounted in the clear and a wavelength high or more. With radials, the bandwidth is reduced somewhat and the curve is more pronounced. My A99 always shows a nearly flat SWR curve accross the CB bandwidth...whatever the SWR is.

Last edited:
Really! I would think the very opposite might happen with a short coax vs. a long coax. Plus an A99 typically has a very wide bandwidth of 3-4 mhz without radials if mounted in the clear and a wavelength high or more. With radials, the bandwidth is reduced somewhat and the curve is more pronounced. My A99 always shows a nearly flat SWR curve accross the CB bandwidth...whatever the SWR is.

Sounds like it has very good heat absorbing properties or does it just transfer that heat onto the coax.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.