• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Adding direct key to to a 12V amp... eg texas star, etc.

drgrant

Jan 14, 2019
Anyone know where I have to tap into? Back in the day I used to have a tech that would do this for me for about 10 bucks an amp. Basically he'd drill a hole in the back, put an RCA jack on it, and then would tie the center pin to a leg of some transistor in the amp. This would make the amp key. Need this because SSB delay sucks and I like to control all my amps with keying relays, etc.

-Mike

I started to shoot a picture, and decided it would be hard to capture the desired detail clearly.

Find the black diode that's against the rear face of the relay itself. The end of the diode that's nearest the outside edge of the circuit board (outboard end) has a white band on that end of the diode.

The NOT banded (other) end of the diode is where you attach the wire that goes to the center pin of your RCA socket. The foil trace for this part of the circuit is big enough to just lap-solder the end of the wire to that, rather than try to wrap it around one leg of that diode.

Should be all you need.

If the radio has a keying jack to hook the other end of the keying cable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.