• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Adonis Base Microphones

i have owned most of the different adonis mics new and old, there has been 3 different style changes over the years,
the best sounding to my ears was the old AM503G,
the 808 sounded ok but the paintwork would be eaten away by the acid from your fingers no matter how many times you washed them, eventually the paint would go all rough and start rubbibg off,
of the last bunch some of which are in the link i have owned several 308's a 508 2x 708's and sold the 4band eq/compressor model to a local last year,
the paint durability on the later versions was much improved but on the downside the heads were changed from a fairly unidirectional to a more omnidirectional pattern and tend to respond to room ambiance and general background noise more than i like especially on the compressor models, i never tried or heared any of the ceramic cartridge models,
all the adonis mics have electronic switching, the old 808 new 708 and the eq models have a time out timer that unkeys automatically if you get long winded or accidently leave the mic in tx, a beep alarm on the tot models also beeps as you tx and can be heared briefly over the air when used on some radios such as the ts950 kenwoods, it can be disabled by clipping a wire loop in the mic base if it bothers you,
some of the newer models are available under different brand names such as,
watson,
nissie,
alinco,

icom used a version of the old adonis for there compressor/eq mic back in the 80's
i have modded different versions for locals so the mic audio response better suited there radio and voice, which usually means removing a little bass in the fm setting and adding a little base in the ssb setting,

overall not bad mics sounding better than average on a wide range of radios with enough output to drive most modern cb's and hf gear,
of the new models the cheaper 308 none compressor model is by far the most popular and to my ears the best sounding of the current crop, plus they dont eat batteries like the eq models if your radio dont have dc on the mic socket to power the mic,

hope thats enough to satisfy your curiosity ;)

bob85 said:
i have owned most of the different adonis mics new and old, there has been 3 different style changes over the years,
the best sounding to my ears was the old AM503G,
the 808 sounded ok but the paintwork would be eaten away by the acid from your fingers no matter how many times you washed them, eventually the paint would go all rough and start rubbibg off,
of the last bunch some of which are in the link i have owned several 308's a 508 2x 708's and sold the 4band eq/compressor model to a local last year,
the paint durability on the later versions was much improved but on the downside the heads were changed from a fairly unidirectional to a more omnidirectional pattern and tend to respond to room ambiance and general background noise more than i like especially on the compressor models, i never tried or heared any of the ceramic cartridge models,
all the adonis mics have electronic switching, the old 808 new 708 and the eq models have a time out timer that unkeys automatically if you get long winded or accidently leave the mic in tx, a beep alarm on the tot models also beeps as you tx and can be heared briefly over the air when used on some radios such as the ts950 kenwoods, it can be disabled by clipping a wire loop in the mic base if it bothers you,
some of the newer models are available under different brand names such as,
watson,
nissie,
alinco,

icom used a version of the old adonis for there compressor/eq mic back in the 80's
i have modded different versions for locals so the mic audio response better suited there radio and voice, which usually means removing a little bass in the fm setting and adding a little base in the ssb setting,

overall not bad mics sounding better than average on a wide range of radios with enough output to drive most modern cb's and hf gear,
of the new models the cheaper 308 none compressor model is by far the most popular and to my ears the best sounding of the current crop, plus they dont eat batteries like the eq models if your radio dont have dc on the mic socket to power the mic,

hope thats enough to satisfy your curiosity ;)

Thanks bob85 !! :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned