• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Advice and suggestions required

Sickpuppy22

Nov 24, 2008
Montreal,Quebec.Canada
Hello everyone recently joined when i saw the vast knowledge in here of about just everything to do with hams cb and antenna's, witch help me figure out why my cb was not putting out so well hehe, anywho i've run into an other problem just about 40 minutes ago comin home from work with my Cb.

Last friday i had a local Cb shop that does all the emergency vehicles in my area peak and tune my Cb witch is a 25 nwst they say here on the repair/service statement power raised from 4.69watts -10watts with modulation to and error freq of 100hz for 22 dollars, no i saw a minor improvement in clarity but not much, when i got it back and hooked up in the car. The antenna is a wilson 1000 mag mount in the center of my roof on a G6 sedan im using the stock mic aswell. The swr currently is a 1.4 on ch20.

Now for the problem last night for some odd reason the meter on the radio was around the middle part of it and when id turn my rf gain down it would lower with st option off ( i dont like it that much lol) and now tonight my needle on the meter is no moving at all on any channel its not rx/tx'in yet the light changed from green to red when i key the mic.

now for the suggestions, i was really thinking of getting a new radio that has at least 30-35 watts minimum of peak power that sounds nice and clear preferably Regular AM no ssb as i wouldnt use it very much and if you can provide a link that'll ship to canada if the price is right that it would be more than appreciated.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the write up lol

No need to apologize for the write-up...that's what the forum is here for!

If I understand right, your radio is not transmittting or receiving now? Before purchasing a new radio, it might be worth testing your mic. On those radios, if the mic has a problem, you would hear any other station. Also, it might key, but have no modulation. You could probably stop by that same shop and ask them for a test mic to see if that's the problem. Also, you should double check all the miscellaneous functions (weather, etc.) to make sure a button isn't stuck or a switch is in between positions.

Well i think this radio is possed lol, just went out turned it on an lo an behold the thing is modulating rx/tx just for fun i changed to a HG M75 power mic and its still rx/tx'ing.

ill keep you posted as i have a 100 km route to get to work so its boud to do it again, Thanks for the advice moleculo.

'EDIT'
Well like i said gotta be a ghost , the radio works when she likes meter stays where it likes lol. The needle on the meter started staying in the middle portion of it again almost like on the midland 77-155 model witch had a local distant switch and on distant mode it would sit around the same portion for better rx signal, but dont know if its any harm on this cobra or if its a sign of ( hey dumbasskeying the mic your hurting me leme go leme go ) faulty workmanship.

Last edited:
Well after 2 days of trial and error and the K40 from my pickup thats in storage for the winter ( small block powered s10 lol) deduction is that the cb is finicky about its operation. Still does the same thing sometimes it will work great for about 20- 30 minutes- other times the needle is stuck in the middle of the scale with alot of noise and then it just fails to even make the scale move, no noise no rx/tx bupkiss, so for mean time i guess its back with the tried and true midland 77-155, until i can figure this out.

Thanks for the help moleculo , if anything else comes to mind gimme a shout.

Always try the simple things in order first, powercord, mic, antenna, coax & connectors, and radio settings. You must be able to rule each step out as a problem. With that model I would always run with the soundcrapper feature turned off. If it is broken and since it is a soundcrapper I would not sink any more money into it, they are not the best radio's out there hence the nickname soundcrapper ( Soundtracker ). Good luck.

try the radio in another vehicle that has a cb in it . and/or try another radio in your vehicle . then youll know which side of the PL-259 to work on .

S10

Hey Sickpuppy, sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you like the S-10? I built one of the first ones. It had a 477 big block 350 turbo 9in in it. Lots of fun!!!(y) They used to call me the ANIMAL!!!
PR

alrighty so i disassembled all my mics and the all checked out a ok, then look through my power witch was fine no corrosion on ends to the battery pole or ground, went up and down about 10 times the entire length of the coax on both antennas and the isnt any kinks nicks what not ( swr readin was adjusted to 1.3 on channel 20 with me ol trusted midlan 77-155 thats been worked on/ confiscated from my fathers rig lol). but i as i was skimming through older threads i came across an intermitent rx/tx witch sounds almost like my problem, i think one of the causes was audio chip on last leg or soon to fail final, so ill lay this cobra to sleep in the bottom of a closet for the time being and enjoy my midlan lol.

As for the S-10 love it lol shortbed short cab th350 with a built 350 .040 over comp 286 H cam 397186 heads 2.02/1.65 valvle flat tops with valve releif , its doing 13.5s consistent with 26'' tall tires and 3.73 gear 2500 stall 8.8 explorer rear detroit locker quite fun to drive on weekends and a chore on wet roads darn lockers lol. sorry for the off topic another one of my passions besides women both just as expensive though.

Well, if you're thinking about just getting a new AM only radio, check out the thread in the Radio Modifications section about turning a Cobra 29 into a high powered radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.