• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Advice Needed which one to buy

EI52N7W

Jun 30, 2013
Ireland
Have an option to buy a yaesu ft900at or a icom mk2G what would you go for?

Im leaning toward the 900at just because of the atu built in, Both are in exceptional condition and more or less same price

Best Regards To All

Last edited:

I have no experience with the Yaesu but I use a 706mkIIg everyday in the car. I would venture to guess that the Yaesu is a better rig but the 706 is no slouch. The built in AT is a plus but most built in AT's have a limited range compared to external ones. The 706 does have a good receiver but can be a bit noisy at times. Would I buy another 706? Yes I would, its a good rig with lots of audio and a decent receiver.

Another thing to consider is the 706 mkIIg will give you 6,2 and 440.

Most if not all Built-in antenna tuners are really line flatteners, very limited range.
If it were me I would listen to both radios on busy HF freqs like 40 meters
and decide, everyone's ears are different and the one you decide on you
will more or less have to live with for a while

Good Fortune on your choice.............

...Im leaning toward the 900at just because of the atu built in, Both are in exceptional condition and more or less same price...

the MKIIg is not even being produced any more. dunno about the 900at.

unless the price is REALLY good, I would look at the IC7k(y)

the MKIIg is not even being produced any more. dunno about the 900at.

unless the price is REALLY good, I would look at the IC7k(y)
The 7k is a good option but there are a lot of 706's on the air and still working good. I agree though about the price as it is an older rig as is the 900AT.

If the price range is in the $500+ range then I would look elsewhere, say an ICOM 718 or the Alinco SR8T. Both can be had near that price and would be new.

As was said above one thing to consider is the 706 (and the 7k) is a shack in the box giving you a complete station. I personally don't like that option in the house, car is fine for that, because if the rig dies you lose not only HF but VHF and UHF. Separate radios for each is a much better option in the home.

Good luck with your choice.

73s

Both the FT-900 and 706 are now out of production...
However the 706/IIG, only recently ( and service parts still available)

The FT-900 finals are no longer in production (same as the FT-100/D)...I however have seen many FT-900's for sale very cheap (most have blown or weak finals).
I would look for an FT-100D before ever making the choice to go with a FT-900....as long as I "Knew" the 100D had full output on ALL Bands...
Same applies to the 706/IIG

I agree with most the "ALL" in one rig personally is not my choice for a base station rig...unless you intend on purchasing a extra HF back-up.
All the Best
Gary

I'd pick the Icom 706MkIIG, buy an LDG tuner, run it with HRD on the base, and have the ability to use it mobile if I wanted. Having VHF/UHF is a bonus, too.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.