• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AL-800 ALC Adjustment Has No Effect

Sandlapper

Aug 16, 2022
I have a new-out-of-the-box AL-800 that I powered up for the first time 2 days ago (9/16/2022). I intend to run it at 450 Watts output CW (in order to have plenty of current margin under the 15A house circuit I'm using). I'm driving the amplifier with 40W from my FT-840, and I get 450W out into a dummy load (after slightly over-coupling the LOAD, and both grid and plate current readings are well within maximums).

I'm using an Ameritron ARB-704 interface through a PNP-8M Cable. No problems triggering the T/R relay. However, transmitting as described above, the ALC adjustment has no effect, from stop-to-stop.

I suspect this is so because the drive power (40W) is too low to trigger the ALC signal from the AMP to the transceiver.

I'm checking other places, including Ameritron, to understand why I'm getting this result, but welcome other input. Thanks.

The intended reason to have ALC is to keep an amplifier's drive level below the "flat top" point, where modulation peaks get chopped off by the amplifier's upper power limit.

Does sound as if your drive level just isn't enough to trip the amplifier's ALC detector.

The intended reason to have ALC is to keep an amplifier's drive level below the "flat top" point, where modulation peaks get chopped off by the amplifier's upper power limit.

Does sound as if your drive level just isn't enough to trip the amplifier's ALC detector.

Thanks, Nomad. Much appreciated. 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?