• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ALAN 9001

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Anyone ever mess with one of these radios??? Im guessing its a spinoff of the emperor 5010 or a 2510? I have access t a brandnew in the box 9001 and was wondering if anyone has a comment or its pros and cons??

tony,
they have very similar circuitry to the lincoln/hr2510 but not the same, i prefere the 9001/shogun/5010 over the lincoln,
they have a little more tx and rx audio bandwith, some differences in the receiver circuit, a larger display with a wider viewing angle, a few mem channels,
the factory soldering is scruffy but they work great for a cb when aligned correctly..

Is it worth $250.00 brandnew. Im not sure if it was converted I would think so my buddy passed away before he could use it. If it needs a frequency conversion is the mod easy or where can I find it?

No I remember when these Alan 9001 radios hit the market They were made by Midland there was also another sister radio to this 9001 I cant remember but it was a 9000 or a 9002 it looked the same otherthan no frequncy display for starters it was a bit cheaper aswell ofcourse.

Jazz so this may not be a stable radio your saying??

i believe this may be one of the few exceptions to rubbish alan radios produced by maxon,like i say i never buy them,once bitten twice shy,but bob85 seems to rate them higher than the lincoln,and in my experience he is seldom wrong.

i had an alan 8001iplus which was ok very similar to ss3900,but the drift was dreadful,the counter was all over the place.like the cobra 200 it got returned and swapped for a ts50.but if bob says the 9001's are ok i'd trust his judgement.

my 9001 was just as stable as the lincoln and a little better sounding. i don't like any of the other midlands:)

I just took a radio in to the repait shop today I could not figure the thing out and it pi$$ed me off royally. It was an older 2970 that when I would unkey it was still oscillating!!! I gave up sop in it went.

I asked that fella about the 9001 he had no clue as he has never actually had one on his benches. So I was still hanging in limbo on taking this alan 9001. Anyways Bob is this Alan worth $250.00 still in box?

I had to laugh the guy showed me a Cobra 200 that he had put an IRF520 driver into and said it kept blowing the other drivers and now it has stable full output but AM dosent work Just SSB hes like ya wanna buy it!!! Cheap!!!! Hes like yeah I got to know the techs at Cobra quite well when they made these LMAO!! He then followed up with "I cant believe Cobra didnt go bankrupt just over this particular radio"

He then followed up with "I cant believe Cobra didnt go bankrupt just over this particular radio"

he ain't the only one thinking that,what a crock of shit the 200 was.250 dollars is about 160 pound,the alan new here would have been around 220 pounds,see if he'll haggle a bit on it,but its still a good deal at that price if new and boxed.if i'm not mistaken it uses the mrf 477 output transistor which are somewhat rare these days.you can find the user manual here:

RigPix Database - Schematics, manuals 'n' stuff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.