• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alexloop

There was an article in QST in September or October. ..can't remember which. The guy ran a wire along his fence line at 8' high, with counterpoise along the base of the fence. Used a matching system and tuner and said it worked very well, for what it is.

Also take a look at the EARCHI antenna. http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10030

I am running a thicker wire and heavy duty unun on mine, but it is pretty stealthy.

Brett

How do you have yours set up, Brett?
Horizontal, sloper? And what for counterpoise?

I had looked into an end fed from Par Electronics but it was only for 10, 20, 40 meters and not intended for use with a tuner.

How do you have yours set up, Brett?

I had looked into an end fed from Par Electronics but it was only for 10, 20, 40 meters and not intended for use with a tuner.[/QUOTE"]How do you have yours set up, Brett?

I had looked into an end fed from Par Electronics but it was only for 10, 20, 40 meters and not intended for use with a tuner.

Mine is at a high point of 20 feet, low point at 8 feet. Hidden mostly by red tip photinias. (Everything is bigger in Texas). The owner at Balun Designs helped me with mine. He is based out of Denton, Texas, which is not far from me. www.balundesigns.com. Look at the 9:1 ununs and recommendations for optimal wire length for multi band operation. I have nor tweaked mine yet, but it works pretty darned good so far. My counterpoise was a WAG, but seems to work ok and tunes both with my Palstar and internal tuner from 80 meters through 10.

If you are going low power, I would seriously look at the EARCHI. I think they are only about 45 bucks assembled, and unless you have the parts laying around would be hard to DIY for less money.

Brett

For what it is worth, I home brewed a small magnetic loop antenna while living in a apartment, it worked surprisingly well.
Very cheap to home brew if you want to try,out of stuff easy to find.
I was making daily contacts into the upper mid-west from central ca.
This was on 20 meters, with the antenna sitting on a patio table, running @20 watts.

Jeff

Reactions: 2RT307
This reading can be a little "Heavy" but worth the time, noting some of the points he makes about these type of antenna set-ups...
Not trying to sway you one direction or another, but when it comes to, "been there done that"... I certainly have tried from 1 watt to 1.5 KW...everything from a pulled-up whips to big Mono-band beams on 50-75 ft towers....
I know the ropes of apartment operation to having several acres to play with...just don't want to see a new op get frustrated with a great hobby to fast...
And 5 watts with a marginal antenna system will do it quickly...
All the Best
Gary

http://www.w8ji.com/end-fed_1_2_wave_matching_system_end feed.htm

This note: Portable operation is one subject...Home station is another subject...
Good Quote: "A man has got to know his limitations":)

Last edited:
For what it is worth, I home brewed a small magnetic loop antenna while living in a apartment, it worked surprisingly well.
Very cheap to home brew if you want to try,out of stuff easy to find.
I was making daily contacts into the upper mid-west from central ca.
This was on 20 meters, with the antenna sitting on a patio table, running @20 watts.

Jeff

How big was the loop Jeff? I have been thinking about playing around witb mag loops as a portable antenna.

Any pics of it, Jeff?

Thanks, Gary. I'll visit that link after breakfast. I'm sure it's great info.

Having slept on it last night, I remembered my greatest pleasure as a CB'r was talking skip on three and a half watts through small homemade antennas. I love hearing someone a thousand miles away calling for "that guy in Texas runnin' barefoot on a homemade Firestik dipole".

And that's why I think I'll enjoy a QRP rig and an Alexloop. If I'm wrong and it doesn't work out, I'm guessing I can sell both and go bigger.

Jim

Gary,

The link you provided was darn interesting. And eye-opening.

With all their shortcomings, a ton of hams still swear by them (end-feds) and for many in my position, they are the most practical solution.

Still, I just keep coming back to the Alexloop. (Must be the magnetic pull) :)

Gary,

The link you provided was darn interesting. And eye-opening.

With all their shortcomings, a ton of hams still swear by them (end-feds) and for many in my position, they are the most practical solution.

Still, I just keep coming back to the Alexloop. (Must be the magnetic pull) :)

My goal was to help you save some money and have a better performing setup than what I thought was possible with a magnetic loop (and the consideration that you were really just going to be operating from your home, rather than portable). I had thought my HOA situation was pretty hopeless until I started looking at options, and asking questions here. As you see from the more experienced guy's posts, there are a lot of folks here that have been there, done that. That experience can sure be helpful, and is really like having an internet Elmer. This can save us time and money! :)

So if the loops are what floats your boat, (I get that), build it! I believe there are lots of plans on the internet for a home brew magnetic loop, and that might be a fun project to learn with. The Axel Loop gets great reviews for it's quality and ease of portability. So maybe you can make yours similar to the Axel Loop and have a real piece to brag on. I'd ask HomerBB about build tips. I don't think he's ever made one of these, but the guy is a genius when it comes to finding parts that will work, and building up a quality home brew antenna.

Brett

Thanks, Brett.
That's one of the things I like about this site---guys sharing their experiences and trying to help each other. I discovered that early on in the CB forums and recognize some of the names here on this side.

My first inclination was to simply purchase a 2 meter radio, homebrew a GP or J-Pole, stick it on my 15' mast and "become a ham". It'd be a whole lot cheaper and a lot less complicated. But I think I'd quickly tire of that.

Last edited:
Thanks, Brett.
That's one of the things I like about this site---guys sharing their experiences and trying to help each other. I discovered that early on in the CB forums and recognize some of the names here on this side.

My first inclination was to simply purchase a 2 meter radio, homebrew a GP or J-Pole, stick it on my 15' mast and "become a ham". It'd be a whole lot cheaper and a lot less complicated. But I think I'd quickly tire of that.

That's one of the many reasons I come to this site, too. Nothing wrong with the 2 meter route, either. It's certainly cheap enough to get into, and depending on your local scene, can be a lot of fun. I enjoy HF though, and that's where I spend most of my time.

Let us know how your project comes along, or even if you splurge for the Alexloop. Of course, pictures are always a bonus. :)

Brett

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.