• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alignment Question

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
A couple days ago I received my new Lincoln II+ radio and had the 11 mod done to it to add 11 meters to the radio because I don't have a Ham license at the present time. Even though I plan on doing ham at a later date it is not illegal to listen and learn. So here is the question, at the present time the radio appears to be not aligned proper on the 11 meter band, and before I confront President Radio next week on the matter I was wondering if a radio would have to be aligned different for 11 meters than it would for 10 & 12 meters? I'm not a radio tech so I don't know those matters. Just want to be well informed ! Thanks

This is a common occurrence with these 10 meter mobiles both out of the box and after a freq. conversion. Take it to a competent tech for a full realignment which requires particular procedures for each chassis and good test equipment.

A couple days ago I received my new Lincoln II+ radio and had the 11 mod done to it to add 11 meters to the radio because I don't have a Ham license at the present time. Even though I plan on doing ham at a later date it is not illegal to listen and learn. So here is the question, at the present time the radio appears to be not aligned proper on the 11 meter band, and before I confront President Radio next week on the matter I was wondering if a radio would have to be aligned different for 11 meters than it would for 10 & 12 meters? I'm not a radio tech so I don't know those matters. Just want to be well informed ! Thanks
Although it is common especially with the older export radio, it's much less common with these newer smd radios such as your lincoln 2. Not always, but more often than not the newest radios are dead nuts out of the box. But..... it is still a possibility. Unlike your McKinley that was designed to be a cb and should have been on frequency, the export has more of a reason not to be on frequency.

My opinion,
Send that sucker back to Walcott, make them pay the trip back too. You paid for a conversion and alignment so make them honor what your money paid for... or a refund.

Scott's sells the same radio, and does great work with a video to show you. That's where I'd point you.

This is a common occurrence with these 10 meter mobiles both out of the box and after a freq. conversion. Take it to a competent tech for a full realignment which requires particular procedures for each chassis and good test equipment.
Thanks for the input and I sort of thought that the 11 meter mod might have something to do with it. So it might not be President Radios fault so I need to talk nicely to them and follow their recommended service shop who knows their equipment. If I knew this earlier I wouldn't have bought the radio. Thanks for your time.

Scott's sells the same radio, and does great work with a video to show you. That's where I'd point you.
What is the full name of Scott's so I can find it. I paid Walcott's for the 11 meter mod and just ask them to check the frequency while on the bench but didn't pay for a alignment. But they probably didn't check or they could have called me for instructions. I have the feeling the salesman I dealt with was what they call a SadHam, and I don't even want to head down that road because I am a old veteran, because like they say the fighting spirit Never Dies. My neighbors will testify to that. LOL PS. I found Scott's Radio

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Can anyone tell me how to use the VFO feature on the radio so I can freeband with it. I haven't found it yet. I have got it off frequency a little but nothing that makes sense yet. Played with it some more today and haven't found it to be consistent. At one point I got 38 lsb to read 27.3850 on my frequency reader with the clarifier on center and after changing channels and going back I couldn't get it to read the same and the radio was warmed up. When I first stared out I had to turn the clarifier to half way between center and the + sign to understand anybody. I'm thinking about taking it to Bob's CB Shop, 5.5 hour drive and then No Gorilla will handle it. Thinking I need a road trip anyway!

Once the radio has been expanded (11m conversion) you should just hit the Band button and it will cycle through A,B,C and so on with each push of the button. I would say start on channel 38 LSB and listen, adjust the clarifier until everyone sounds good. You should then be able to go up into the freebands and still be pretty much on with everyone.

Reactions: whiteastro

Once the radio has been expanded (11m conversion) you should just hit the Band button and it will cycle through A,B,C and so on with each push of the button. I would say start on channel 38 LSB and listen, adjust the clarifier until everyone sounds good. You should then be able to go up into the freebands and still be pretty much on with everyone.

Thanks for the video,mine does seem a little cold blooded for frequency. Haven't had enough time to explore all the options of the radio, I have too much work to perform living alone. ( My Choice for Peace ) How do you get into 11 meter Freeband mode with this radio because that is the one I'm most interested in trying out to make sure it works proper? I'm thinking about taking a ride to Bob's CB Shop to get it aligned dead on for 11 meter because 10 & 12 meter for me is only Listen & Learn until I get my house finished. Again thanks for the video.

If you put the vfo to change the digit that corresponds with the channel steps then it is really easy. Push in the channel knob to select which digit the vfo changes. For ch40 which is 27.405, you would put the vfo on the zero digit. Then, turning the channel knob, from ch40 it will go to ch1 of the upper channels, just keep turning the knob. This would be 27.415. The up down buttons don't do this. The up down will recycle to ch1 of the band you are on.

Reactions: whiteastro
If you put the vfo to change the digit that corresponds with the channel steps then it is really easy. Push in the channel knob to select which digit the vfo changes. For ch40 which is 27.405, you would put the vfo on the zero digit. Then, turning the channel knob, from ch40 it will go to ch1 of the upper channels, just keep turning the knob. This would be 27.415. The up down buttons don't do this. The up down will recycle to ch1 of the band you are on.
Thanks for the starter point. You might just make me a radio man yet ! LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.