• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

all mode + wx channel radios?

are there any export style rigs with wx?
i see the uniden 980 is close but only 40ch
i would like to get an ssb radio in my mobile but i also want the weather noaa channels

RCI2980wx,have one and use everday on 10mtrs...and use alot on 10am,great radio,but pricey...can be modded to 11 and 12mtrs,but mines not.73 de JW
Late note,wx bands great on mine.And uses 4 pin cobra mic.

Ive had several FRS radios that had weather band, and you will only be disappointed. When I made the switch from my Cobra NW WX ST to my Stryker 955 I missed WX and thought I could use a FRS radio and that didnt work at all. At this point I think I might build me a bracket to mount my old Cobra to the bottom of my Stryker with either a second antenna bout 18" , or duplex it with my 11meter antenna.

i know some 0-30 rigs that have wx on hf but i want a typical hi mid lo rig with all mode and wx.

maybe you can remove the wx part/board from a cheap used cobra and install into another chassis?
maybe 29 into a 148? use the pa switch and maybe swap out a useless rotary for the wx ch change?
except im not keen on the large shiny cobras that are easily found here. but i dont want external switches.

actually im starting to think iv seen aftermarket board and kits for this?

or maybe the other way around add ch blocks and modes to a wx equiped radio??

im pretty suprised there not allready available these days. as i said i see the new uniden sets but there locked to 40ch but advertised (wrongly) as 120ch sets . i look forward to them being unlocked!

I've never used an 10/11m radio with wx but I'm sure the wx reception would suffer due to the wide gap in freqs being used for each. I've always been able to program in wx broadcasts on my 2m radios so never an issue and the antenna is closer to the right freq.

I've never used an 10/11m radio with wx but I'm sure the wx reception would suffer due to the wide gap in freqs being used for each. I've always been able to program in wx broadcasts on my 2m radios so never an issue and the antenna is closer to the right freq.

i dont believe it would suffer my cobra (and im not a fan) allready has wx and works great! but it doesnt have the other blocks or modes and i was looking forward to dx-ing the homeland.

on the other hand ive had alincos rigs and yupiteru scanners with huge jumps in mhz and work fine

but
i dont want any other radios in the vehicle,scanners ,hand helds,large hf sets etc or extra antennas

il bet diy adding the wx channels has been done to a multi mode set before in u.s

Ive had several FRS radios that had weather band, and you will only be disappointed. When I made the switch from my Cobra NW WX ST to my Stryker 955 I missed WX and thought I could use a FRS radio and that didnt work at all. At this point I think I might build me a bracket to mount my old Cobra to the bottom of my Stryker with either a second antenna bout 18" , or duplex it with my 11meter antenna.

So what didn't work? I have 4 FRS radio's and 2 have the weather alert feature. Any time I have hit the weather button I listen to a weather report. Same freqs as what a scanner would search for as well. Heck my 800 meg work radio even has the same dang weather channels in it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.