• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Almost ready for my Extra ticket...

mr_fx

Oct 8, 2011
Kansas City
well I have been scoring consistent 90-96% on the practice tests. I have been studying in between calls at work... but for the life of me some of the math is still giving me problem, mostly phase angles and junk like that, I know most of the answers to the phase angle questions, but only because I have seen them several times, for some reason I just can not get that part working in my brain, it has been 13 years since I was doing trigonometry in high school...

but I know I would still pass, unless for some reason all I get is phase angle questions...

That being said I will be testing at 9am December 13th... wish me luck

Reactions: mb91w126

You are ready for the test. The VE group I work with does not reveal the scores. You either pass or you don't.

You know what they call the guy that finishes last in his class in Medical School? "Doctor"

Still it bothers me that I dont understand the answers of like 6 questions out of pool of 702 questions... I dont just want the ticket, I want the knowledge that comes along with it

I seriously doubt that you have full knowledge of everything else on the test anyways. Most likely, you are familiar with or have rudimentary knowledge on the majority of other topics. You would be quite the exception if you commanded full knowledge of everything on that test. Just take the test and revisit the ares that you feel ignorant on.

I seriously doubt that you have full knowledge of everything else on the test anyways. Most likely, you are familiar with or have rudimentary knowledge on the majority of other topics. You would be quite the exception if you commanded full knowledge of everything on that test. Just take the test and revisit the ares that you feel ignorant on.

never meant to say that I have full understanding of the material, just that I dont feel I have any understanding of certain parts, but I am able to at least work through and apply most of what I have learned... but at the same time some of it I doubt I will ever use

Still it bothers me that I dont understand the answers of like 6 questions out of pool of 702 questions... I dont just want the ticket, I want the knowledge that comes along with it

I'll give ya a hint,.......... in every question about phase angles, "14 degrees" is half of the correct answer.

there will be 2 answers with 14 degrees in them, one is wrong, the other is correct.

don't forget,............ Voltage leads current

Good Luck!

I studied and did research on a lot of areas I didn't understand to gain knowledge when I went for my Extra. It did help when it came time for the test. But now years later, A lot of that technical stuff I forgot already since I don't apply what I learned in my everyday work and routine.

If you don't have a desire to become the next great inventor or a career in electronics engineering, I wouldn't get too hung up on the electronic theory and principles portion of the test other than enough to pass.

I found the other sections like antennas, propagation, and other sections that relate more to everyday aspects of operating a Amateur station more useful and interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: wavrider
Just remember, it's a pass/fail test so approach it strategically. There aren't any bonus points for getting everything correct. If there is a section of questions you just can't get right, move on and focus on other sections you understand better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.