• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alpha 10 Mini Overview

I think the problem is that the new Omegaforce radios got advertised as 100 watt radios - there was actually a sticker on the one I tested that said 100W on it and that was misleading.

At max the radios will do around 80 watts peak and as the transistor heats up the output drops off to anywhere from 65-70 watts.

Because people with cobra 29's were seeing the 100 watts out of the RFX75 I think owners of omegaforces were thinking they would see that too.

Now I haven't read the thread on ones with low output but I'm sure there are some that may be having low output as you say there are always some lemons in the bunch. The same way some of the early RCI-2970N2's kept blowing the mosfets.

As for the Alpha 10 Mini - I kind of feel the same way about it as I did the Mini Magnum when it came out.....ho hum. The Alpha 10 mini is cool with the display and the size, and it puts a solid signal out due to the 10W deadkey and 14-15 watt peak, but audio was pretty average. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9LF-Ug1_4

The Alpha 10 Max is a neat radio for SSB but on AM very average audio compared to other exports. It has lots of options which is the selling point, but since there is no warranty and the output was fairly tame I would find myself recommending a Magnum 257 or RCI--2950DX before the Alpha 10 Max.

I think the problem is that the new Omegaforce radios got advertised as 100 watt radios - there was actually a sticker on the one I tested that said 100W on it and that was misleading.

At max the radios will do around 80 watts peak and as the transistor heats up the output drops off to anywhere from 65-70 watts.

Because people with cobra 29's were seeing the 100 watts out of the RFX75 I think owners of omegaforces were thinking they would see that too.

Now I haven't read the thread on ones with low output but I'm sure there are some that may be having low output as you say there are always some lemons in the bunch. The same way some of the early RCI-2970N2's kept blowing the mosfets.

As for the Alpha 10 Mini - I kind of feel the same way about it as I did the Mini Magnum when it came out.....ho hum. The Alpha 10 mini is cool with the display and the size, and it puts a solid signal out due to the 10W deadkey and 14-15 watt peak, but audio was pretty average. YouTube - Alpha 10 Mini Export AM FM On-Air Audio Test & Comparison

The Alpha 10 Max is a neat radio for SSB but on AM very average audio compared to other exports. It has lots of options which is the selling point, but since there is no warranty and the output was fairly tame I would find myself recommending a Magnum 257 or RCI--2950DX before the Alpha 10 Max.

Cool. I think I'll hang in there and wait to see what the word is about the upcoming generation of Omegas and 257s. I'm looking to operate 10M SSB with the occasional jaunt down to ch 19. After reading this board, I'm definitely intrigued by 555 too!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.