• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alright, need a reintroduction to CB, and other non ham bands.

There is a pretty good club that you could into that started in California, it's the WR club (World Radio), there are members in it from all over the world, plus many on this forum, including myself.

i tried to join the "world radio" dx club, but they seem to no want to reply to emails. heard some others have had the same issue :sad:

i tried to join the "world radio" dx club, but they seem to no want to reply to emails. heard some others have had the same issue :sad:
In order for one to join, he or she must make contact with one of members that issues the #'s.

WR149 - Rich, in Chico, CA. can give a number.
WR954 - Darryl, in Sacramento.
WR 2811 - Eli also in Sacramento.

They are all on ch 38. Oh...the contact as to be made by way of the radio only - not through the forum.

In order for one to join, he or she must make contact with one of members that issues the #'s.

WR149 - Rich, in Chico, CA. can give a number.
WR954 - Darryl, in Sacramento.
WR 2811 - Eli also in Sacramento.

They are all on ch 38. Oh...the contact as to be made by way of the radio only - not through the forum.

ahhh good to know. thanks (y)

if the 148 is a side mic model it can be modded to do a lot and talk very well. go to cb tricks and check out the mods and alignment for the recieve. If your not inclined to mess with it just post it here for sale it will go like hot cakes no doubt, that is one of the best 40 channel SSB radios ever made without a doubt

Alright, I found the 148GTL :) But it doesn't hear like the kenwood. I have read about recieve mods for the 148, any of them good? Are they worth the time to do ?

Thanks!

was the radio ever peaked and tuned when ya first used it? if not is start there
before ANYTHING. as others stated it wont ever be like a kenwood. but for
a cb there top of the line imho. id take it to customcbradios.com or dtb radio
and have it tuned up and recieve aligned if not done.doug at customcbradio
has a recieve mod that you can turn on/off like a pre amp works good

Yes I have to give a second to that, Dave at DTB Radio is the man, if your not into doing it yourself go to the post office, get a flat rate box and get it off to Carlisle PA you will not be disappointed, he has done a ton of stuff for me all 100% and a quick turn around time also

Thats why I ;) when I said turn it down. It's only 50W carrier on AM, should modulate to 100W once the mic gain is adjusted.

I just didn't want to sound like a complete newbe on 11M

The vast majority of 11m dx is done on SSB around the calling frequency 27.555 USB, AM is like the dodo, extinct. SSB rocks.;)

if the 148 is a side mic model it can be modded to do a lot and talk very well. go to cb tricks and check out the mods and alignment for the recieve. If your not inclined to mess with it just post it here for sale it will go like hot cakes no doubt, that is one of the best 40 channel SSB radios ever made without a doubt

It's a side mic, and no, not for sale :)

it was peaked and tuned WAyyyyyy back, I am sure it needs a good cleaning up, and maybe tune up. i know it wont be the Kenwood, it is what it is. if I can get a little out of it, great, if not, we'll still play with it.

No CB, no matter how good it is, whether the Cobra 148, or a Uniden/Realistic TRC-449, will ever perform like a Kenwood (or any other amateur HF radio). They're not designed to. They are designed and built to fulfill a price point in the CB market.
That said, they are an amazing triumph of technology for what they are. Modern CB design incorporates design techniques that are true feats of innovation. They make do with sparse and lean design and parts count that yet accomplishes excellent performance. No, they won't ever compare in IF bandwidth, and selectivity, or intermod intercept point, or transmit IMD characteristics, but they don't have to. What they do do, they do exceedingly well.

Clean up that Cobra 148, get it tuned up, and use it. I would not mod it at all, but leave it stock; it's worth more. If you insist on "extra channels" or higher power, just buy a good export rig, or better yet, use your Kenwood.

No CB, no matter how good it is, whether the Cobra 148, or a Uniden/Realistic TRC-449, will ever perform like a Kenwood (or any other amateur HF radio). They're not designed to. They are designed and built to fulfill a price point in the CB market.
That said, they are an amazing triumph of technology for what they are. Modern CB design incorporates design techniques that are true feats of innovation. They make do with sparse and lean design and parts count that yet accomplishes excellent performance. No, they won't ever compare in IF bandwidth, and selectivity, or intermod intercept point, or transmit IMD characteristics, but they don't have to. What they do do, they do exceedingly well.

Clean up that Cobra 148, get it tuned up, and use it. I would not mod it at all, but leave it stock; it's worth more. If you insist on "extra channels" or higher power, just buy a good export rig, or better yet, use your Kenwood.

No, no extra channels, I have the kenwood for that, I just want to get the most of the 148 that I can, nothing crazy, Just good clean signal. I need to get an antenna up that doesn't need tuning for it to have a safe SWR, then I can play more.

One last thing, is there an easy way to add headphones to the 148. I don't want to keep the house up while playing radio.

[...] I need to get an antenna up that doesn't need tuning for it to have a safe SWR, then I can play more.
I would recommend the Hy-gain Penetrator 500 (SPT-500). Hy-gain has it, but you have to call since it's not on the website yet. Or, you can call DX Engineering which also has it in stock. $149.95, true .64 w.l., aluminum. Excellent antenna. I have one and love it.

One last thing, is there an easy way to add headphones to the 148. I don't want to keep the house up while playing radio.
Locate the speaker jack. You can use an adapter to go from 1/8th" to 1/4" stereo. Or, you can drill a convenient hole in the back chassis, and add a stereo headphone jack. Wire both sides (tip and ring) to small 8 ohm resistors and then to the audio output.

No, no extra channels, I have the kenwood for that, I just want to get the most of the 148 that I can, nothing crazy, Just good clean signal. I need to get an antenna up that doesn't need tuning for it to have a safe SWR, then I can play more.

for antennas
NEW hygain penatractor500
maco v5/8
either of these will work great. and ya dont have to take out a lean on your house to get one of these,.
some good lmr-400 double shielded coax you,ll be set

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned