• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alright, need a reintroduction to CB, and other non ham bands.

KC2ZPK

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 15, 2010
Ok, been 15+ years since I really used a CB, a cobra 148GTL, and that was basically for work purposes while landscaping. Was never really into the DX scene, but since getting my ham ticket, I got the bug. So... I figured I would give CB DX-ing a shot. I can't find my old 148 (in storage somewhere) so I am going to use my Kenwood TS-940, turned down ;) . I should have a 1/2 wave verticle dipole up by the weekend to test out. But in the mean time I have been listening, trying to get a feel for culture, I hear handles, numbers, a mix of words and numbers. How do you figure who is who, and where they are from? How does one pick a unique handle, or get a number? I am guessing the numbers are assigned?? Where is the best place to call CQ, CB or other bands?

Thanks!

greetings

some folks use q codes, some use a mix...really just what you are comfortable with or with the contact. channels 35-40 lsb with ch38(27.385 as main calling channel).

use any numbers you feel comfortable with to identify yourself that is the norm, but folks are using handles or first names too.

Mercy, why turn the Kenwood's power down? Nobody else is. There's guys running 2KW + on 11 meters so why should you be any different. Forget the FCC. There is NO enforcement of anything going on.

As to locations, if you listen to a QSO going on the guys will say where they are. If they don't, then get in there and join the QSO and ask them.

You should be able to figure all this stuff out being a ham and all.......

Mercy, why turn the Kenwood's power down? Nobody else is. There's guys running 2KW + on 11 meters so why should you be any different. Forget the FCC. There is NO enforcement of anything going on.

As to locations, if you listen to a QSO going on the guys will say where they are. If they don't, then get in there and join the QSO and ask them.

You should be able to figure all this stuff out being a ham and all.......

Thats why I ;) when I said turn it down. It's only 50W carrier on AM, should modulate to 100W once the mic gain is adjusted.

I just didn't want to sound like a complete newbe on 11M

Gets boring listening in on 10 meters but QSY to 11 meters and when the conditions are good it is great DX.

Google international 11 meter frequencies as some other countries use different freq's and modes than we do here in N.A.

Make some contacts and have fun good DX.

You need to get a copy of the 11 meter DX list, then when some one uses a call sign like; 317IR101, the list will show that the station is from Belarus (317). The list will not show what club he is in, but it's easy to figure it out. The IR means (International Radio club - which started in Australia).

2SD178 would be from USA (2 division) and the group is Sugar Delta.

There is a pretty good club that you could into that started in California, it's the WR club (World Radio), there are members in it from all over the world, plus many on this forum, including myself.

Examples:
1 - Italy
2 - USA
16 - Belgium
75 - Azores Islands
84 - Ivory Coast
150 - Bahrein
237 - Union of Mayanmar
345 - Swain Is.
etc. etc.

The card below show the guys call 169 which is Guernsey Is. with ED being the Echo Delta club.

guernseyis.jpg

Last edited:
Alright, I found the 148GTL :) But it doesn't hear like the kenwood. I have read about recieve mods for the 148, any of them good? Are they worth the time to do ?

Thanks!

Alright, I found the 148GTL :) But it doesn't hear like the kenwood. I have read about recieve mods for the 148, any of them good? Are they worth the time to do ?

Thanks!

There is nothing you can do to make a CB's receiver work anywhere close to what a quality ham rig will do.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned