• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Alternative to Channel 19

Dopple

Apr 9, 2022
Since channel 19 has become a "DX" channel, is there any movement on picking another channel to use for truckers, or any of us who use it while traveling? Keeping the squelch up to 80% doesn't seem like a good solution.

Reactions: walterjn

Right now unless you dial off into free band, every one of the 40 channels is packed with "skip shooters", good luck finding a open channel.
Then good luck getting everyone involved on the same channel, add to that DX is world wide at the moment, so the channel you pick may get loaded up with South America stations one day and some other part of the world the next.

As soon as the solar cycle dies down it will no longer be an issue, its like this every time propagation rises and falls.
By 2026 or so we will be starting on the down slope and by 2032 everyone will be listening to static and asking where did the skip go?

It's been like this every solar cycle I can remember since I started playing radio.

Jeff

Yeah, I knew of at least one trucker who's on the local linked repeaters in western NY. He used to sell the raffle tickets at our hamfest, haven't heard from him in a while, tho.

I know bands are wide open now, and 10/11m will quiet up when the cycle dips again. All the people (or at least most) that shun Ham radio because of licensing fail to see how it keeps the band from becoming this much of a mess.

I guess GMRS would be the next logical step for having local communications, but I don't see that being adopted for over-the-road type travel. Maybe something in the old 46mhz band that fire and ems used to use might be cool. But, the 6m ham band is mostly dead, just a couple repeaters around here.

The FCC is more interested in revenue than giving people more options for license free operation, tho.

Reactions: walterjn
I've always thought people should move off of 19 and leave it for the "drivers". I know I'm asking for a lot, but respectful operation goes a long way. Like no AM on 36-40. Guess I'm showing my age.
Yeah, I don't ever try to work DX on 19. I'm on there to give drivers info (warned a driver about a broken down truck on a 2 lane road recently) or get info.

Maybe the standards over in the EU aren't so bad, FM on some frequencies, AM on others? I just don't understand why everyone wants to DX on 19, when there are 39 other legal channels to do it on. Channel 9 is a crap show, too.

I've always thought people should move off of 19 and leave it for the "drivers". I know I'm asking for a lot, but respectful operation goes a long way. Like no AM on 36-40. Guess I'm showing my age.
It is a free for all now.
There are all modes being used every where, I hear data being used a lot on 36-40 now.
It's funny that we often hear
CB is dead, but every online retailer is selling CB and export radios as fast as they can shove them out the door.
Couple that with the complete CB band being filled with users every single day......
This is what drove many of us to get a license years ago.

Jeff

Reactions: walterjn and NZ8N
I heard something about the truckers in Canada don't even use CB anymore, there is another radio service that they use.
CB hasn't been used much by truckers in Canada for almost 20 years now. Even before that, Channels 1 & 10 were used in some parts of the country more than 19 was.
Certainly nobody in Canada in this day and age is driving cross-country with a radio on 19 !! You could easily cross the entire country and hear nothing but U.S. skip !!

Nowadays, Canadian truckers use what are called the LADD channels. These are in the 150-170 MHz VHF range. There are four channels, with LADD-1 (154.100 MHz) being the defacto "truckers" channel.

In more remote parts of the country, truck stops and gas stations often have a radio monitoring LADD-1, much as they would have monitored 9 or 19 back in the day.

I’m in the Midwest, channel 19 is pretty much a ghost town now. Most younger drivers these days either don’t even have a radio or it’s not turned on because they are streaming a movie. 20-25 years ago ch 19 was non stop.

I’m in the Midwest, channel 19 is pretty much a ghost town now. Most younger drivers these days either don’t even have a radio or it’s not turned on because they are streaming a movie. 20-25 years ago ch 19 was non stop.
I've been saying this for awhile - let the cell phone towers go down, just for a couple of hours and anyone working on radios will be considered a high priest, and you can turn it into a new religion.:LOL:
The sad part with the radios not being turned on, it's too late when driving up on something. Then they become a post on ways, IG, or whatever they're using.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.