• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Aluminum Travel Trailer Roof Antenna

A99 on a tilt over mast...

— Some re-fresh reading on the SOLARCON A99 gives me the impression that competing verticals aren’t really going to offer more given installation on a TT. (Some wouldn’t work).

— Mounting an antenna of this length is offering to the winds a really long lever to play with. Sudden, unexpected gusts are a concern. I’m not contemplating getting underneath the exterior skin to install a far larger “plate”; construction would be exterior, if any.

Concern: I see via some reviews that this (and I-2000) cause bleed-over to surrounding homes, etc. This is at the heart of RV Parks prohibiting CB antennas of fair size. Granted, things have changed in re TV since 2007 or so, and I’d guess that coil chokes would help.

Still, one may not be 25’ from other RVs; sometimes in any direction.

— RV parks are also notorious for “dirty” strained electrical service. At noon local where the expected high temp is 95F, I’m already down to 108V on the meter.
While this doesn’t correlate directly to antenna choice, one could see resentment — deserved or not — just adding up at an antenna reaching near 30’ for any noise over others electronics. (“Bigger means it takes more juice”, I can see as complaint accurate or not).

I may be “wrong”, but it was my thought a 9’ quarter-wave might not be as obtrusive per bleed-over, visual difficulties, and (I presently think) somewhat easier to install (adequate surface area captured for wind resistance).

— I’ve not made any hard decisions thus far.

Edit: Yet more reading, the advice of trying a half-wave has plenty of attraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: undertaker
ALPHA Moto 6-40 (with external tuner) “looks” as good to my inexperience and to standing up to being baked next to that aluminum roof in the “down” position (majority of its life).

17’ 3” telescoping whip available.

100W PEP max (not sure of this number)

Granted, this approach is considerably more expensive (antenna + whip + spring + tuner).

1) Less wind load?

2). Thinking it might be less noticeable?

(Revived a thread where I first asked about this antenna).

Maybe: Forget the lift/lay and stay with the aluminum-plate BREEDLOVE puck mount with 6”x 6” aluminum backing plate. The stainless FMJ would mount to a brass fold-over.

CAL-AV stainless pot-belly spring underneath. Maybe that’d be “adequate” to use the 17’ telescoping whip in the event of thunderstorm front winds?

Sent inquiry to ALPHA.

Last edited:
And, inquiry answered with alacrity! (Twice)

To avoid quoting, yes, using a thru-skin mount is advisable. The 17’ telescoping is finished for service it encounters approx 45-mph winds.

The 13’ MIL-stick (take-down shock-cord thru six aluminum sections) a better choice. (Other options noted, as well; learning-curve stuff for other days. Same as noted in sales info).

Plan, now:

— Add Alpha riser mount to squeeze tuner coax aboard.
— Lose fold-over.
— Remove MIL-stick after use.
— Cap FMJ unit.
— Blind-rivet a mount (maybe a sun shield, too) with LDG tuner.

Another inquiry sent about what spring — if any — to use atop FMJ unit to buffer MIL-stick against wind stress. (Response received: Nope, not needed. Flex built-in).

For this scenario the MIL-stick gets the antenna tip to 23-24’ or so.

This has turned into the $600 “solution” (given reasonable LDG antenna tuner price). OTOH, it’s a 6-40M antenna, so, maybe, I’ll motivate myself in learning how to listen some with the Y-ft450d.

Puck mount will get moved stern-ward to second flush-mount light fixture cavity (in trailer exterior pic, to rear of doorway ahead of A/C unit 4’).

And Radio Rack can move to the OTHER end of the sleeper sofa. Another cabinet top. Coax as before (up to overhead cabinet and across ceiling); power now changed to a longer run along baseboard.

Guess I’ll also swap Radio Rig as if I’ll be using the Yaesu.
Amp built-in plus other upgrades not found in AM/SSB.
That’ll greatly simplify Rack + Power.

Stay tuned till next weeks bright ideas!

Last edited:
The performance of an HF antenna is in direct proportion to its ugliness.

Doc, W5LZ

Sums up the chase. Appearance notwithstanding (I like odd stuff), the Texas Bugcatcher gets accolades in beating out screwdrivers, etc, in mobile antenna shoot-outs.

And it’s said to be a pain to set up first time. And, its more maintenance-intensive than I want for an antenna installed on a trailer roof. Let’s leave aside I won’t be climbing a telescoping ladder to change a tap.

Bugcatcher = clip to tap coil moved painstaking small changes.
Screwdriver = mechanical (internal) rotary movement to do same.
ALPHA FMJ = external tuner to initiate changes.

The TBC is more visually-arresting than I want (at this time) for an antenna on the trailer roof needs to be sorta low key with MORE performance than a quarter-wave whip.

It was great background reading to today’s other activities. Just sure as heck I want one. I can see plenty of opportunities from apartment balcony to a BEEG one on a tripod mount, etc.

Glad I’ve held off on the Dodge pickup puck mount. Might go for a BIG OLD TEXAS BUGCATCHER and swat mudducks out on The Big Road, . . . frighten the horses, make the children cry, and cause the women to faint.

760BDC0B-3878-4E7D-9B05-9DB5EA54ADD5.jpeg

4F101416-9A0C-4CF3-8763-8E9C4ED38DBE.jpeg

I found it common that a review would state, “okay, it’s not as good as my Texas Bugcatcher, BUT . . . “

At least one review of the ALPHA Moto FMJ 6-40 stated such. But, that the FMJ was a little quieter. (No perfect HF mobile antennas).

The FMJ “works” for me being low key. And a simpler installation. No guying, no giant mount plate, etc. Next to no maintenance (I’ll probably get a cover for it).

TBC an antenna I’d have to remove to go down the road. More than all else — what started this thread — is the desire for a permanent roof antenna. I see now (thanks, Gary, groundwire, Undertaker, and others) that it may as well be an antenna does MORE than just 11-Meter.

No decisions made. No money spent. (Yet).

Last edited:
Were I to use the FMJ it looks like I might want to swap the Breedlove puck internals for a double-ended SO-239. (Not what’s shown so much, but want to avoid adapters; simplest mount)

A2F22085-AAA0-4BA0-8F6F-8867D55E67FF.jpeg

Don’t yet have a full picture.

Might be good to mount the antenna tuner inside (no clue if “a good idea”, but better weather protection; extra high heat on metal roof).

LDG RT-100
8B530639-5F16-4DD0-9F72-AA57B3764A31.jpeg
Etc
FCEBB690-9511-4A0D-9A5C-A215FA0E989B.jpeg

Last edited:
Tempting as is that 6-40/Meter ALPHA Moto FMJ it’s no small expense once antenna mount, remote tuner plus misc is added together.$600, maybe even $700 before being finished.

Deduct from the cost of a BREEDLOVE puck mount, and it’s a minimum of $450 greater than the 102” whip. Is that worth it over a remote tripod-mount HF antenna? (Something I could disassemble to keep in the 8’ truck bed).

A highest-quality screwdriver antenna rig on a roof mount might triple that $700, but would be more capable as an antenna, and — electric lift & lay — keep me from getting on the roof very often.

I’m back to the SS quarter-wave as installation + operational ease + visual problem + longevity + lower noise are significantly simpler (lower), overall.

The more I’ve considered a layover half-wave Fiberglas antenna, the less-desirable it seems. Getting roasted while laid-over a few inches above a metal roof at (guess-timated) 160F doesn’t bode well for long-term reliability. And it’d stand out.

1). All-metal antenna is best.

2). Reasonable expense.

3). Easy operation while mobile (stopped roadside) is important.

4). Otherwise — having come in from the road or in getting ready to leave after two-three days — get telescoping ladder from truck to erect or lay-over, and keep antenna height & shape to a minimum operationally with a material better-suited to high heat where lower noise is also a factor seems “the right package”.

Sure, I’d prefer the higher performance of a half wave:
Drop a 102” wire over the side from the puck mount?

Last edited:
Interference with neighbors is the real unknown.

I’ve an older NYE-VIKING LP filter to use, and would use chokes/filters, etcetera, to maximize performance and minimize noise.

Will try another brand of band-pass filter as well.

And pony up for best-shielded coax.

I’ve not ever had a base station. Though this is a mobile installation it’s use will be while stationary (approximating a base where a quarter-wave is bonded to a grounded metal roof).

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed. I’d like to run 120W, maybe up to 300W. (“Power” is going to be location-dependent).

How much trouble am I going to create for myself with 50-100W?

Thanks.

Slo............ya got me thinking.............usually not a good thing whilst piloting a big truck! LOL! But seeing as I'm stuck in the house right now with my busted neck, I should be safe!
What about mounting your "wilderness" antenna similar to this.....
antenna 003a.jpg
If mounting on the pickup isn't desirable logistically, perhaps putting some sort of receiver hitch type deal on the trailer might suffice.
Just a thought.............

JD

Reactions: Slowmover
Slo............ya got me thinking.............usually not a good thing whilst piloting a big truck! LOL! But seeing as I'm stuck in the house right now with my busted neck, I should be safe!
What about mounting your "wilderness" antenna similar to this.....
View attachment 45317
If mounting on the pickup isn't desirable logistically, perhaps putting some sort of receiver hitch type deal on the trailer might suffice.
Just a thought.............

JD

That’s close enough. Thx

A). The pickup would be able to mount something like the 6-40 FMJ with the 13’ MIL-Stick with puck-mount planned. That appeals more than hitch-mount. Could go on either vehicle (swap-out).

B). A HD tripod (already sort of planned) with a jumper extending from under the trailer could be connected to a 100’ run of coax to an antenna.

— Neither is quite what I want for a low-key antenna in re RV Park rule-compliance.

— Plenty of roof on the TT. Ease of use, otherwise. (And, has to last). Permanent (not stored then erected).

This project is looking like I can combine doing some of the work on the TT at the same time as on the Dodge pickup. Identical install sub-projects I guess is how to put it.

That’s the good news.

Bad news is in having to wait to order parts/supplies and a few more tools.

Till then . . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.