• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AM/FM Mobile Antenna

Slowmover

BANNED
Feb 17, 2015
Where the West Begins.
(Seems like the closest forum)

Recently picked up a DX-1600 AM/FM Antenna from Walcott Radio (also at Bob’s CB) marketed for Class 8 trucks.

6D463262-67E9-426F-BD86-0FBD4712BF3E.jpeg
DAC358A5-7D2B-4433-B900-92E2B528F98D.jpeg

Big trucks (today) favor antennas built-into the composite body. Usually above the windshield. Performance second to “failure-proof”. ‘

Given that broadcast radio has been ruined by Reagan-era giveaways to end original FCC-charter ideals, I haven’t listened to much broadcast radio for a dozen years or more (and that limited to classical programming). NPR in no way lives up to its origination, either.

But it’s time to get the most from any radio or type if one is going to be on the road. I’ll be mounting this on the passenger-side spot mirror “bird perch mount” and will have to make up some RG-58 coax with appropriate ends of a length to suit. (Base at 9’ above ground, top two-thirds will clear cab roof).

Didn’t expect the packaging recommendation above of how to orient.

So, your morning coffee question is, which orientation equates with “pointing towards”(?)
And why?

The longer (45”) Fiberglas whip is, “the resonating AM antenna”.

Advanced Ferro-Magnetic Design!

Two Antenna Systems in One!

ATTRACTS SIGNALS LIKE A MAGNET!!

Last edited:

Second, is questions is about the coax:

1). Problems with length & routing?
GUESSING 12’ or more.

2). RG-58 a big truck AM/FM standard. Better choices as alternative? (Yeah, routing WILL involve some tight turns).

Thanks for any insights re AM-FM mobile signal capture.

(Radio is a typical DELPHI Concert Class with Bluetooth & CD Player; no Sirius/XM).

Reactions: cralt
I favor top-shelf GM car radios from the 1970s. Recall some stellar performance.

Any anecdote about AM DX in your current century car?

As equipped with external antenna? Is that even a question any more?

The one thing I remember about cars with AM-only radio antennas was the coax. Had a hollow center insulator with a tiny wire for the center conductor. First time I asked anyone who might know "why?" he pointed out that keeping the cable's capacitance per foot low made the antenna match better. Since the factory whip antenna only a tiny, tiny fraction of a wavelength long, any extra capacitance to ground in the feedline would reduce its efficiency.

There's probably a give-and-take between this and the antenna-input circuit of the car's radio. I do know that we peaked a tiny trimmer cap in any newly-installed car radio that included AM for best sensitivity near the top of the dial. If you didn't, the sensitivity would nearly always suffer. Had a handy weak station locally at 1450 that was perfect for this. Would have to do this any time the antenna got changed, as well.

Setting the AM trimmer properly would make it easier to follow Art Bell's "AM Coast to Coast" on a long trip.

The one thing I remember about cars with AM-only radio antennas was the coax. Had a hollow center insulator with a tiny wire for the center conductor. First time I asked anyone who might know "why?" he pointed out that keeping the cable's capacitance per foot low made the antenna match better. Since the factory whip antenna only a tiny, tiny fraction of a wavelength long, any extra capacitance to ground in the feedline would reduce its efficiency.

There's probably a give-and-take between this and the antenna-input circuit of the car's radio. I do know that we peaked a tiny trimmer cap in any newly-installed car radio that included AM for best sensitivity near the top of the dial. If you didn't, the sensitivity would nearly always suffer. Had a handy weak station locally at 1450 that was perfect for this. Would have to do this any time the antenna got changed, as well.

Setting the AM trimmer properly would make it easier to follow Art Bell's "AM Coast to Coast" on a long trip.

The Oracle Speaks (thanks!)

I recall the trim control. And family traveled North America extensively in my childhood. All with extending antennas (as with my first series of cars)

But did not know cross-section of cable used.

I’ll do more research than recent reading.

Best long distance reception the goal (with factory radio and this external antenna).

Best AM radio I ever had was the Mopar one in my plymouth scamp. I did peak it up with the trimmer. Another good one was the one I had in a ram charger. Simple AM/FM digital set but had AM stereo. The new Delco radio in my 2017 work truck does surprisingly good. Which is funny because it does have the in glass antenna in the rear 1/4 window. There is some sort of SDR voodoo going on in there. On overnight calls I listen to ZoomerRadio out of Canaduh, WBZ and WRKO in mass. Can hear 1500 in DC no problem.
The one in my Jeep suuuuuucks. The electronics and pwm fans come though louder then stations. One these days I want to pull it apart and see what is up with the antenna cable routing and quality.

I never really had good luck with AM and aftermarket radios. My old Pioneer DEH-1000 was the the last one that worked kinda OK.

Will be interesting to hear your review of this. Hopefully it's not just a CB antenna with a decoration hanging off the side :whistle::ROFLMAO:

If you are setup to make pl239 connectors maybe it would be worth getting one of these Motorola/So239 adapters to put on the back of your radio?
Motorola_to_SO239.jpg
That would make experimenting with coax simpler since I am sure you have tons of random cables with all your projects.

Last edited:
Best AM radio I ever had was the Mopar one in my plymouth scamp. I did peak it up with the trimmer. Another good one was the one I had in a ram charger. Simple AM/FM digital set but had AM stereo. The new Delco radio in my 2017 work truck does surprisingly good. Which is funny because it does have the in glass antenna in the rear 1/4 window. There is some sort of SDR voodoo going on in there. On overnight calls I listen to ZoomerRadio out of Canaduh, WBZ and WRKO in mass. Can hear 1500 in DC no problem.
The one in my Jeep suuuuuucks. The electronics and pwm fans come though louder then stations. One these days I want to pull it apart and see what is up with the antenna cable routing and quality.

I never really had good luck with AM and aftermarket radios. My old Pioneer DEH-1000 was the the last one that worked kinda OK.

Will be interesting to hear your review of this. Hopefully it's not just a CB antenna with a decoration hanging off the side :whistle::ROFLMAO:

If you are setup to make pl239 connectors maybe it would be worth getting one of these Motorola/So239 adapters to put on the back of your radio?
View attachment 42157
That would make experimenting with coax simpler since I am sure you have tons of random cables with all your projects.

Ha! Many thanks for the adaptor advice! No, my brain hadn’t gotten around to it, but it’s the ideal way to get started. The big truck has everything else necessary.

Recently picked up a DX-1600 AM/FM Antenna from Walcott Radio (also at Bob’s CB) marketed for Class 8 trucks.

View attachment 41964 View attachment 41963

Big trucks (today) favor antennas built-into the composite body. Usually above the windshield. Performance second to “failure-proof”. ‘

Given that broadcast radio has been ruined by Reagan-era giveaways to end original FCC-charter ideals, I haven’t listened to much broadcast radio for a dozen years or more (and that limited to classical programming). NPR in no way lives up to its origination, either.

But it’s time to get the most from any radio or type if one is going to be on the road. I’ll be mounting this on the passenger-side spot mirror “bird perch mount” and will have to make up some RG-58 coax with appropriate ends of a length to suit. (Base at 9’ above ground, top two-thirds will clear cab roof).

So, your morning coffee question is, which orientation equates with “pointing towards”(?)
And why?

Second, is questions is about the coax:

1). Problems with length & routing?
GUESSING 12’ or more.

2). RG-58 a big truck AM/FM standard. Better c

View attachment 41964 View attachment 41963

And why?

Hello would this work for a house mounting or does it require the huge ground plane of a truck to pick up AM radio well? Thanks

hoices as alternative? (Yeah, routing WILL involve some tight turns).

Thanks for any insights re AM-FM mobile signal capture.

(Radio is a typical DELPHI Concert Class with Bluetooth & CD Player; no Sirius/XM).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.