• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AM/SSB Base - what's a good entry level unit?

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
I might think about stepping into a base in the near future...what would be a good type-accepted, entry-level base? Let's try to keep in under,say, $350??

And then to follow, what would be a decent omni-directional base antenna?

How much can you afford? $350? That is a lot to work with!
Or, are you asking - what is the best that is still available?

This link should work for you. It's a new radio, it's a Ranger, it talks well, and has freq counter - and only $100+s/h!
I got one, and I'm using it right now..
http://www.customcbradios.com/catalog/item/6635006/6619285.htm

EDIT:The handheld mic that comes stock on this radio is a very nice piece of work. It modulates great, fits the hand perfectly, and feels very solid. Not a cheap piece 'o junk feel or audio sound - by any means. I'm really quite impressed with my purchase. I need to get a transformer/linear power supply, as I am using the Ham radio supply to run it at the moment. Between the radio, the mic, and a decent power supply for $45 - I can afford the Maco 5/8 ($128/ship incl) and still be well under $350...

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with a Galaxy 2547 for sure. Another good one to have is the Ranger TR-696F base, that's pretty similar to the 2547, although I think they may have discontinued the Ranger... :confused:

Undertaker nailed it with the 2547 and the Solarcon I-Max 2000 antenna. That would be a great setup there.

-Exit

Seeing as you're looking at a straight CB, you could consider saving money on a good older unit and put more cash towards a boss antenna setup, maybe even a decent beam & rotor.

Lot's of good older bases. Cobra 2000, 142 GTL, Uniden President Madison....and a galaxy (pun intended) of very many older rigs going back to the early 80's and with 40 channels.

Ebay is loaded with them all the time. A good place to look around just to see what's out there even if you don't buy on ebay. Now the Cobra 2000s still bring much more money, but I've seen all the others go for $50 or less.

Good luck

interview.gif

I might think about stepping into a base in the near future...what would be a good type-accepted, entry-level base? Let's try to keep in under,say, $350??

And then to follow, what would be a decent omni-directional base antenna?

I have a less than 2 year old 2547 and a small klv 100 watt linear. $265 for both of'em plus about $25 or so shipping...
Moved up to a 2995 dx, so I don't need this one anymore..

Put an $89 Imax 2000 with this an you are at about what you had to spend an will have it all

Heres my ad on the KC MO. craigslist

CB Galaxy DX2547 Base & KLV-203 Amp for sale

Ron
ol'fart

are you only interested a dedicated base with a built in power supply ? a mobile version with a correct power supply will give the exact same performance for much less money when buying new . the TR696FD-1 seems to get good comments in the forums , but id get it from sparkys myself . put a 7 amp+ contious power supply with it and youll still have $200 for an antenna system/coax and a meter , maybe even a few mods by al to go along with his normal free tune up and alignment .

See if you can find a Uniden Grant LT mobile that hasn't been all hacked up. Add a small power supply and spend the rest on a good antenna and coax.

A quality basic 40 channel base radio such as a Cobra 2000 and a good all aluminum antenna such as a Siro is a good combination. The real trick is the get your antenna up about 36 ft. and keep the SWR's as low as possible.

That is, unless you had rather have a multi-banded base radio.

I've had more fun with a 5 watt transceiver than all of the power in the world with a good directional high DB gain antenna.

See if you can find a Uniden Grant LT mobile that hasn't been all hacked up. Add a small power supply and spend the rest on a good antenna and coax.

I have a spare Grant XL sitting on the shelf...

I thought about the power supply thing, just wanted something that was "neater" in appearance.

You're going to have a hard time finding something that works better than that!

I second that.

If you want neat, I think they still make a power supply with a slot for the radio.

Wish I could tell you who, I forget.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.