• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AM, SSB handheld radio (Magnum 1012 Clone)

I sometimes wonder why I bought my AM Midland hand held, Haven't turned it on in awhile, guess it is just that OLD FEVER ! LOL
Yeah, I bought a couple of GE hand helds...real cheapo's thinkin I would use them around the camp, or house. I think I put batteries in them and that was about t, oh,I did test and they worked. My first ham rig was a 2 meter hand held. I never did get much use of that either.

Reactions: whiteastro
Yeah, I bought a couple of GE hand helds...real cheapo's thinkin I would use them around the camp, or house. I think I put batteries in them and that was about t, oh,I did test and they worked. My first ham rig was a 2 meter hand held. I never did get much use of that either.
Yeah I have 1 of those GE hand held with the rubber Duckie ant. the only time it is good is for a quickie in the vehicle with a little mag. mount antenna. Other than that they can suck batteries too fast. And I just bought one of those Baofeng UV-5R 8watt hand held not long ago because I wanted to try to unlock the GMRS to explore that and haven't done anything with that yet. Guess I'll have to take a vacation to play with it. LOL

SSB handhelds. You get all excited about it, buy it, you play around with it and realize it's not as much fun as it sounded, then it sits on your shelf for years. One day you're taking a trip to europe and you go, oh that would be fun for the handheld, you take it with you but since you're on vacation you only turn it on for 5 mins before your wife complains and you put it back in the suitcase.
That is pretty funny :) - but actually, I have had some of mine for over 15 years, and I still love them. I use them occasionally, a few times a year at least, I make a few surprising contacts and put them away again...
They are worth every cent in my opinion, but YMMV. You have to put in some work with these QRP rigs but it's extremely rewarding when you make some DX contacts with them.
What we need is a brand new and modern/stable/quality version of a SSB Handheld radio. Rumor has it that one might be in development soon. I hope that rumor is true!

SSB handhelds. You get all excited about it, buy it, you play around with it and realize it's not as much fun as it sounded, then it sits on your shelf for years. One day you're taking a trip to europe and you go, oh that would be fun for the handheld, you take it with you but since you're on vacation you only turn it on for 5 mins before your wife complains and you put it back in the suitcase.
LOL, I am the same way with VHF/UHF handhelds. I used to take one with when traveling and use it for about 3 minutes total. Now I never take one with me.

Reactions: whiteastro
I think I had a Cherokee SSB hand held. I bought the super long antenna for it and was pretty impressed with it. I could talk a few miles SSB to my father in law. I did sell it as battery type stuff and I don't get along. Usually batteries are discharged or dead when I'm ready to use them.
But it was kinda fun playing around with it.
Well, I found a picture of the Handheld SSB I had and sold. Titan Road Pro. Had the extended antenna to go with it also.
Worked pretty good, just don't like anything with a battery attached, well the car battery is OK, but that's different.

P1010014.JPG

Reactions: Pez
Since it's a hand held HT style radio it's going to have a battery of some kind. I see in your pic it looks like it had a cig lighter plug cord, that would work great. You could plug it in like a regular mobile cb radio.

Since it's a hand held HT style radio it's going to have a battery of some kind. I see in your pic it looks like it had a cig lighter plug cord, that would work great. You could plug it in like a regular mobile cb radio.
At the time I had my Titan Roadpro mobile mounted in the dash of my 93 Toyota pickup. It fit perfect. It was like a Magnum257 Hp, without the power and the extra heat sink. They were fun. I bought it as a novelty although it did work surprisingly well with the extended antenna. I could talk probably 10 miles or so SSB locally in a congested area. Went to the epay after I played with it for a while. I didn't miss it, I could never, and still can't grasp the idea of a hand held. Just me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.