• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amateur radio & computer

KD8LWX

Aug 17, 2009
Here is my dumb question of the day.

I see computer connections for radios, but I am not sure what is being done by the computer and what is being done by the radio. It appears that the radio is a standalone device and the computer is only used for certain protocols, logging and other auxiliary functions. Tell me how it is now.

Or to look at it from the other side: Is there a reason why all the memory function, changing radio stations, tracking……are not handled by a computer utilizing a USB to connect to the radio which acts like a computer hardware peripheral. I am thinking the radio would have no knobs, no buttons, antenna connections, but everything else would be handled by the USB interface going to a computer. It looks like a very elegant solution, but.....?

Here is my dumb question of the day.

I see computer connections for radios, but I am not sure what is being done by the computer and what is being done by the radio. It appears that the radio is a standalone device and the computer is only used for certain protocols, logging and other auxiliary functions. Tell me how it is now.

Or to look at it from the other side: Is there a reason why all the memory function, changing radio stations, tracking……are not handled by a computer utilizing a USB to connect to the radio which acts like a computer hardware peripheral. I am thinking the radio would have no knobs, no buttons, antenna connections, but everything else would be handled by the USB interface going to a computer. It looks like a very elegant solution, but.....?

first paragraph:there are many software programs out there. logging, rig control, data modes, audio enhancement ect... too many for me to list.

second paragraph: pretty much sounds like an SDR rig to me(except for the "no antenna connections"). google Software Defined Radio

Most people use the computer to do various tasks that the radio cannot do on it's own. You named a few of them already. One of the most important tasks a computer is used for are the digital soundcard modes. The computer produces the "tones" that are output to the radio where they are sent via RF. You can also use a computer to control or program the rig, instead of using all the dials and buttons on the radio.

Is there a reason why all the memory function, changing radio stations, tracking……are not handled by a computer utilizing a USB to connect to the radio which acts like a computer hardware peripheral. I am thinking the radio would have no knobs, no buttons, antenna connections, but everything else would be handled by the USB interface going to a computer. It looks like a very elegant solution, but.....?

There are a few radios out there that do this. As hookedon6 said, they're called Software Defined Radio. Two brands come to mind: FlexRadio and TenTec. FlexRadio's approach is to build a transceiver in a box that has no controls, screen, buttons, etc. on the radio - you control everything with a PC. TenTec's approach is a little different. TenTec radios are software defined, but they also give you all the knobs, UI, and buttons necessary to operate the rig without the PC.

It looks like I am not the first person to think about his idea.

It looks like it is very functional.

It looks like the companies which are doing this (non-military), are charging more and I would be getting less.:blink: :confused: :mad:

Are FlexRadio and TenTec really SDRs or are they computer controlled transceivers?

Perhaps they are a hybrid of this...

One neat application for PC interface to a standard transceiver is to provide audio Digital Signal Processing. Some trasceivers provide RF DSP, which is better, and other provide Audio DSP. If your radio does not have build-in DSP, then you can add Audio DSP via computer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.