• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amateur radio recruitment

@jon666

If you're almost anywhere in the jurisdiction of the USA, you're probably quite close to someone who has an established VE team. There may be some remote areas where a 100 mile drive might be necessary but folks that remote are used to driving anyway. If you're in the USA send me a PM with your approximate location if you'd like and I can look up on the VE sites for someone nearby.
im in upstate new york plattsburgh.

yep and according to their website it looks like they have at least 1 more testing sessions scheduled for this summer... almost looks like they test bi-monthly...
and they operate a repeater that is node connected on 147.150 with a positive offset and a tone of 123.

Reactions: 2RT307
My local club offered classes, and I found the environment helpful in learning all this stuff. Not just reading a book, but talking about real world experience from a couple of extra class instructors. You might see if they offer classes in conjunction with the tests.

Brett

My local club offered classes, and I found the environment helpful in learning all this stuff. Not just reading a book, but talking about real world experience from a couple of extra class instructors. You might see if they offer classes in conjunction with the tests.

Brett

thanks guys:.:)

Reactions: 2RT307 and N0NB
The Field Day thread was kind of veering off into recruitment for a bit so rather than reply there I'm starting this thread.

Recruitment is kind of a touchy subject it seems. It seems as though we've had sort of a caveman approach to recruitment, i.e. got out and club 'em over the head, drag 'em into a testing session, tell them to have fun in the hobby, and then wonder why they're never seen or heard from again. Perhaps that is merely my perception as I've never had success with the caveman approach.

When asked I explain amateur radio and the hobby aspect. I have learned that amateur radio only appeals to a vanishingly small percentage of the population. Its appeal is higher among RF technologists but even there the interest in radio as a hobby is probably far less than 50%. Nearly 100% of the people who have asked me about amateur radio over the years have not pursued getting licensed. Most likely this says more about me than the hobby.

As a result I've given up on the caveman approach and don't support others who pursue that avenue. Am I wrong? I would gladly help anyone who approached me with an interest in getting licensed, but I'm not out beating the bushes trying to drag anyone into a class for a hobby they didn't even know about beforehand. I'd really like to see more activity locally but it seems without dragging them in, they'll never approach on their own. My conclusion is that radio just doesn't fascinate people any more and that saddens me.

This became a bit more of a rambling missive than I intended. I am heartened by a couple of younger guys who are enthusiastic. Perhaps they will generate some local interest.

I didn't read the whole thread....but I'll respond to your first post.

I'm a new inexperienced ham operator. I'm 34. I'll give my perspective. You're right, it doesn't appeal to anyone anymore. Kids today grow up with cellphones and laptops than can talk to people half a world away a lot cheaper and easier. Why would they be interested in us trying to show them century old technology? The ones that are interesting in engineering will be.

I have a few years electronics engineering education. Therefor I have an interest in engineering, and HOW IT WORKS. 99% of the population doesn't care about HOW something works, as long as they know it works and its difficult to convince them its important. I feel engineering students and geeks will always be into stuff like this. Unfortunately I forgot half of what I learned by now.... My 92 year old grandfather sort of got me into radio at a young age, then when I got older I have a really smart/geeky friend that got me interested again....but I already learned a lot of the basics in school. I'm also a bit of a "survivalist" at heart. My grandpa gave me his radio a year or 2 ago as his health is failing.

Everyone at the testing center was happy I showed up, and were enthusiastic about the hobby but you're right they pretty much said get your license and have fun! I got my general...and that was it.

I got a radio, and had no idea what to do. My smart buddy helped me mount a couple antennas and gave me the crash course. The learning curve is high, and a lot of the really knowledgeable folk have little patience for talking newbies thru it, and explaining questions and stuff we have. I'm from the internet generation, and am used to looking things up online, but online and on the radio itself, some people tend to look down their nose at people who are just trying to learn.

My advice is, if you want people to join up, TOLERATE their uninformed questions, and if the question is wrong or stupid, EXPLAIN why its the wrong question, politely.

Overall so far, my experience has been mostly positive, but I only use the radio once in a while and forget things and need to ask a dumb question once in a while and some people have been really unhelpful.

This hobby will continue to get smaller and smaller unless we do ALL we can to encourage it. The inquisitive kid still will always wonder how and why his wi-fi works, and what led to it being invented. Nurture those kids. They are asking the dumb question because they are not as smart as you, but the interest is there or they wouldn't be asking. Help them learn to BE as smart as you someday. Its hard for me to answer old timers PC questions as I'm an IT guy, but I taught my 92 year old grandpa that gave me the radio to use a PC! He's still learning though too.

Last edited:
Reactions: N0NB
My advice is, if you want people to join up, TOLERATE their uninformed questions, and if the question is wrong or stupid, EXPLAIN why its the wrong question, politely.
You can't really teach someone who think they know everything.
The guy I was speaking of approached me like he was going to educate me because he thought I just didn't know any better.
If some one approaches me with a disrespectful attitude I won't tolerate that. I know I got him thinking anyway.
Respect is a two way street. If he had not come off like I'm going to teach this old "Hill Billy" I would have taken the time to "Learn Him sumptin". Like what are you going to do when cell service is not available?

Reactions: 222DBFL
The guy I was speaking of approached me like he was going to educate me because he thought I just didn't know any better.
If some one approaches me with a disrespectful attitude I won't tolerate that. I know I got him thinking anyway.
Respect is a two way street. If he had not come off like I'm going to teach this old "Hill Billy" I would have taken the time to "Learn Him sumptin". Like what are you going to do when cell service is not available?

I get that. I try to be polite though, and I have a got a lot of the "I don't want anything to do with the new idiot attitude" from the old timers. Just my experience. I listen more then I talk when I'm asking a question though. Some people don't get the whole idea of "when asking a question, listen to the response"

This was just my perspective on the hobby as it stands today, from a newbie point of view.

Reactions: Tallman
I get that. I try to be polite though, and I have a got a lot of the "I don't want anything to do with the new idiot attitude" from the old timers. Just my experience. I listen more then I talk when I'm asking a question though. Some people don't get the whole idea of "when asking a question, listen to the response"

This was just my perspective on the hobby as it stands today, from a newbie point of view.

Yes I understand that. I have only had my license since 5-13-2013 and I know I ticked off one of the guys that got me into it. When I found out about the Public Service aspect I was hooked. Hurricane Katrina wiped out all forms of communication for law enforcement and all of the first responders. It was the "Amateur Radio Operators" that got the communications up with their own equipment and power systems. That convinced me to get my ticket.

Reactions: 222DBFL and 2RT307
@iiiquaziii

A couple of questions for you, no disrespect intended.

I am curious as to what resources you availed yourself of when learning about the hobby and studying for your license? Did you read books or just what was found on the 'Net? If you did read books, what were they? If not, what other resources?

I do realize that not everyone is good at book learning and for a lot of those people demonstrations and hands-on is the better way.

@iiiquaziii

A couple of questions for you, no disrespect intended.

I am curious as to what resources you availed yourself of when learning about the hobby and studying for your license? Did you read books or just what was found on the 'Net? If you did read books, what were they? If not, what other resources?

I do realize that not everyone is good at book learning and for a lot of those people demonstrations and hands-on is the better way.

I read a couple 30-40 year old books from my grandfather, and stuff from my old electronics text books from 16 years ago. Don't really remember the titles without digging them out, but that was mostly theory refresher. For FCC laws and practice tests I got most of that info online. I didn't have to do a LOT of reading to pass the test, as the theory wasn't too bad with my background. Most of my questions I have asked others have been about antennas and practical hands on radio use, and radio functions, and what bands are good for what usage.

Last edited:
My junk, for anyone interested....

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 181
  • radio2.jpg
    radio2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: BBB and 2RT307
!! Meters is ripe with future potential ham radio enthusiasts. You just need to get you head around the fact that some CB operators are knowledgeable and respectful of the equipment already. Disregard the trash and there is some cream at the top.

Do the math. CB was super popular in the '70s with kids around 12-18 years of age. Fast forward and now those same kids that were super interested in two way radio are waxing nostalgia for their youth and rediscover CB radio again. They have the means. Scrupulous Ham operators on CB notice them and point them in the right direction to take it to the next amateur level.

This has happened to at least 5+ CB operators in our local area. All passed (some right into General service) and now have consecutive call numbers (y) I double dare you to take the Ham Test...

Reactions: 2RT307
!! Meters is ripe with future potential ham radio enthusiasts. You just need to get you head around the fact that some CB operators are knowledgeable and respectful of the equipment already. .
I was a CB'er for 48 yrs and now an Amateur Operator for three years.
I aced the Technician and missed only one on the general. I am also studying for my extra right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: RatsoW8

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.