• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amazing Conditions the last week or two!

BC Coyote

Oct 17, 2023
Out here on the West coast of Canada the conditions the last couple weeks have been outstanding ! Some of the best I've ever experienced in almost 40 years on 11 meters. Had contact in the last few days with Greenland, Serbia, Poland, and the Marquesas Islands among other exotic places. All heard on 555 and then QSY'd elsewhere for contact. And all worked with a barefoot Kenwood TS-140S at 120 watts and either my Antron 99 or a 54 foot wire dipole through an antenna tuner. I am surrounded on all four sides by dense fir forest so have very limited room for antennas.....

Welcome! Those 140s are really neat radios, I should hook mine up again. I have so many radios, and I can only talk on one at a time. I talked to operator 999 on the west coast of Canada the other day, conditions are really starting to pick up for sure. Enjoy the DX!
73 and 51
Chris

Rigpix:
ts140s.jpg

Reactions: Brother DXer
Thanks for the welcome Chris. 999 is Steve, and he is about 200km Southeast of my QTH. I am further north on a fairly remote island. Once or twice a year we are able to talk on backscatter or aurora.
The Kenwood TS-140S is indeed a fine radio. The TS-680S is the exact same except it also includes 6 meters. The only modifications mine has are the MARS mod and the squelch mod........squelch only works on FM otherwise. My only (small) gripe is that there's no notch filter and the noise blanker could be better.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
BC Coyote
I am just south of Steve 999 about 40 miles, we have talked a couple of times when the conditions are good for us. We both were working S. Korea and Asiatic Russia late yesterday afternoon.

I'll be listening for you in the late afternoons on back-scatter.

Larry - 2SD178

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.