• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

American 4 meter band?

Because you haven't asked for it yet. It's all your fault. The government, and particularly the FCC, always gives us everything we ask for....but you do have to actually ask. :D:whistle:

K9STH has already asked for 4m.

4m overlaps with VHF TV channel 4.
With the migration to digital TV, most stations have left the VHF low band.
Yet a few still remain, and they may wish to use it in the future.
So it would be a fight with TV broadcasters if they still want that channel.

I really don't think we are missing anything by not having a 4 meter band. Even if we were given part of it, I figure it'd be about like 60 meters, not much, and not particularly useful. I really doubt if there's going to be a 4 meter amateur band in the near future.
- 'Doc

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my elocution. I do not think that we should necessarily have access to the 4 meter band (it might be nice to have the option though). I was just curious why we don't have it. Apparently, it was historically used by broadcast TV.

Agreed. It would probably see about as much use as 50mhz, 2 meters, 70cm. etc...

Meaning almost NONE!

Where did that come from? My local 2 meter network is always active. My nearest 70cm repeater is part of the WI-network, which is busy all day and night. I can always raise a friendly rag-chewer. This morning when I got off of work and the linked 2 meter network was being used to coordinate a bicycle race. All day yesterday, it was used by Skywarn and the NWS. A number of storm chasers were also using the network. When 6 meters is open, I cant get a word in edgewise. In my area 220 is not active, but in the Twin Cities (two hours away) it is heavily used.

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my elocution. I do not think that we should necessarily have access to the 4 meter band (it might be nice to have the option though). I was just curious why we don't have it. Apparently, it was historically used by broadcast TV.

Hi there, You are correct. That area is the historical VHF Low TV Broadcast Band in the United States. By the way....eloquence is mostly useless and totally unappreciated on this forum :D :whistle:

Where did that come from? My local 2 meter network is always active. My nearest 70cm repeater is part of the WI-network, which is busy all day and night. I can always raise a friendly rag-chewer. This morning when I got off of work and the linked 2 meter network was being used to coordinate a bicycle race. All day yesterday, it was used by Skywarn and the NWS. A number of storm chasers were also using the network. When 6 meters is open, I cant get a word in edgewise. In my area 220 is not active, but in the Twin Cities (two hours away) it is heavily used.

I've been listening for the WI-network for a few hours today and haven't heard much traffic, one QSO at about 1100 cdt and a few people keying up on the Baraboo repeater without saying a callsign, hasn't been much different on the FM38 repeater system

Well, it comes from experience. Where I live 10m, 11m, 6m, 2m, 70cm, are virtually unused. I can find activity on one channel on 11m, none at all most of the time on 10m, 2 meters might have one or to useful repeaters, and forget 440. And the 2 meter users are the same 4 or 5 people all of the time. 6 meters if great for ragchewing, but no one uses it, either, unless they can talk around the world. Same with 10. These bands should get much more use than they do, and until they do, we do not NEED any more alocations. I am glad that your area has local 2 meter use. You seem to be in the minority, as there are thousands of inactive repeaters nationwide,

Saying six is busy because of a band opening is like saying the interstate highway is really busy because it has traffic one day a month. Lots more room for use.:whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.