• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron Al-80A/B

EDUK8TR

Need a little help from those of you who use this amp. The owners manual of the A model is a little scant on some of the info. I have followed the instructions on tune up and get proper readings on the metering but when I switch to the "PO" I'm not getting any output. I hear the relay make contact but not showing any output on either the amp or my inline meter. Not sure if I have a technical problem or not. I don't have a dummy load to try and see if the problem is on another band. If it would be possible, a landline contact would be nice to help me trouble shoot if I have missed something. A little info to help:

Exciter - Kenwood TS-430S driving the amp between 80-100w SSB.

I do have the patch cord which goes into the back of the DIN outlet of the 430 and terminates in RCA connectors for ALC and RLY which are connected to the amp.

Again, if someone is willing to talk me through some of this it would be appreciated. Just PM me your PH# and a time to call to see if I can work this out. I really hope I don't have something wrong with the amp but want to talk to someone who is familiar with these before I have to box it up and send it for a possible repair.

Thanks Guys!!

73's

Bottom line, hook a sensitive RF sensing device to the output (swr meter) and run the amp into a dummy load.

Put an low level AM signal into the amp and while watching the meter closely tune for output. Do this quickly with very short keys.

If you find a peak, add a few more watts and re-tune. Now, if you are seeing output try it with your SSB input up to 100 watts.

Either you will see a working amp or you will see the need for repair.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.