• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron AL-80B help

Now when setting ALC is it same scale aka bottom as HV is or is it too scale that goes to 500? Meters are weird I set it to the 15 on bottom that is same scale used for the HV, and the top is SOLEY reflective measurements, Am I right or way off?

I'd use the manual for the definitive answer, but it looks like you'd set the switch to ALC and then use that HV scale with the little bit of red on the end, marked ALC. Apparently you disregard the numbers along the top side of that scale except when looking at reflectED power.

Okay what settings on a TS-480HX 28 and 29 1 2 or 3? Set which to which for the amp, and still cannot get it to do CW 800 5-6 at 50-70 watt drive, should the rear adjustment pod be adjusted? Also still may need coax cable change out have 3 one from radio to 989D and from 989D to AL-80B, also never done ALC did as manual said since 120-180 so have it on 15 aka 150, but rear ALC adjustment is all counter clockwise still. Any suggestions? BUT bright side am loud have mic gain at 50 processor at 25 and very very loud with amp...

Question: Are you running a tuner between the radio and the amp? Not sure of this...
"coax cable/3 one from radio to MFJ 989D (?) and from 989D to AL-80B"
Tuner should be after the amp...between amp and antenna...
Amp has tuned input from radio and if properly adjusted no tuner should be needed...
AM carrier from radio should not exceed IMHO more than 25 watts
CW/ SSB drive should produce full output with 50-70w drive (600-700 watts PEP)...
if You follow these set-ups, amp will last a lifetime...driving with more to get 1000w PEP will only shorten tube life and stress other components....
No one will ever hear the difference...
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: 2RT307
Ok, amp gets @5-7 on AUX, on ssb as well as AM, but tube never gets red, that sound right?

Now on radio swr meter does go backwards but the Mfj-989D does forward.

I have yet to see color other than white on bottom lite up no red/ or orange like coloring. But I get @500 to 700 watts out ssb sometimes gets on CW to to up 800 dead key on it. But that between 50 to 70 watts drive.

Am 25 watt drive @200-300 dead key. Swings to @600-800

That's odd. The bright white light is the filament. With that much (too much) AM carrier it should should be showing some color if you talk a decent amount of time. If I key mine at 150 for about 30 seconds the bottom of the anode will start to show a dull red color.

Later tonight or so I'll see I'll stick it on AM and rag chew some see if it turned dull red or what rather than just white

Don't be too hard on it. You're not looking for a bright glow. The Grey anode that surrounds the filament will start to turn a dull red color at the bottom. The longer you transmit the red color will move further up the tube. There's no reason to get it smoking hot. If you figured out the grid current and swr issue you mentioned earlier it really sounds like everything is working right.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio