• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron AL80-B blowing fuse on power up

Did you ever see the water cooled radar tubes? Or The Aegis class ship radar tubes that lights up an entire Hemisphere? One radar system that I worked on delivered 300 Megawatts in a burst. You could not be in the transmitter room because it would cook you fatally in less than one second.

We had the marines on aircraft carriers and security when I first entered the service.
Called them Mardet, Marine Detachment.
Sea going bell hops was our nicknames for them.
Great bunch of guys.
We snuck into their berthing compartment and stole their chrome floor buffer.
Hung it from the overhead pipes on the mess decks.
Those jar heads were one pissed off bunch about that.

Pretty sure I heard somewhere that the reason Marines were on-board Naval ships was so the officers would have somebody to dance with. :whistle::ROFLMAO:

If memory serves me correctly we had the we had the burke,,carney and I am sure several others I have forgotten about.
They usually stayed just over the horizon on port side when we were under way,

I have never experienced first hand the radar systems on the aegis destroyers.
I have seen them in port and the super structure was all antenna.

We would joke on board the carrier about having a force field protecting us whenever the destroyers had their radar going on. Nothing got past that radar system.

Reactions: Tallman
Can't hardly use those in the Persian gulf. Also we questioned the wisdom of lighting up and entire Hemisphere with a strong signal like that. Nothing say here we are better than a huge radar signal. That's almost like playing loud Lead Zeppelin on a sub when you are running silent.

Back in the day we had the A6-E intruders, the radar jammers.
Those transmitters were an awesome amp to work on, the old E intruders would receive a SAM radar signal and pump many KW of garbage on that frequency to block any SAM from locking on.
The A6-E had enough power to Brown out NY city power grid. Or so we were told.

As for hiding in the Gulf. Try hiding an Aircraft Carrier.
Hell no We walked right in the front door and stayed station right off the coast of whatever country was acting a fool.
Peace through intimidation.
Any dictator that woke up looked out his window and saw a mobile maritime airport off his coast made him think twice of being stupid.
Sort of lake what is happening in N Korea right now but there are 3 carriers there.

Reactions: Tallman
Just nothing as dangerous as sending 5 to 6000 horny and mean sailors with weapons in a mobile city that is missing shore leave because of some idiots indiscretions.
The level of danger is almost incalculable.

Reactions: wavrider
Fire Runner you were raised a Navy brat?

You were the one sneaking into the enlisted Barracks buying beer from the beer machine next to the Coke machine in the lounge that had three regulation size pool tables and a tv that never worked.

Coke was a quarter, beer was 50 cents in the early 80's dispensed out of vending machines.

Reactions: firerunner
Fire Runner you were raised a Navy brat?

You were the one sneaking into the enlisted Barracks buying beer from the beer machine next to the Coke machine in the lounge that had three regulation size pool tables and a tv that never worked.

Coke was a quarter, beer was 50 cents in the early 80's dispensed out of vending machines.

Well sort of , I don't remember living on Base but we lived in Turkey, Virginia Beach and then finally Ca. I remember going to the Navy exchange what a great place to shop! He retired in SF and went on to work civil service on Treasure Island. I wish he was around now he would totally be into ham radio now that I am, his days of Cb radio is what interested me.[/

I did send him a PM offering to help with more trouble shooting.
That's the thing I like about being a former sailor, instant conversation and commonality.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated