• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron ALS 1300 help

d4star

Sep 22, 2011
Based on the updated reviews on this forum, I took the plunge and purchased an ALS-1300 last year. With the exception of an early power supply issue which was fixed by Ameritron, I have been happy with the choice. However I seem to have an issue with a single band, 80 meters. No matter what I do, including using a tuner, my ALS 1300 will not output on 80. Any more than a few watts of forward power results in a shutdown with both SWR and PA fault lights coming on. I have tried two different antennas with the same result. The primary is a 7 band 3KW rated Buckmaster OCF that plays well on all other bands. Is it possible that a component in the amp that only deals with 80 has gone bad? Before I pack and ship it back to Starkville does anyone here have a suggestion?

Thanks

Dave KM2O

Sounds like a filter issue in the 80 meter setting only other thing would be SWR power fold back in radio but the amps protection circuitry would shut the amplifier down due to a missmatch. so Im going with a amplifier filterboard issue ;)

If it's a problem inside the amp and not the antenna, check C5, C6, C7 and C8 for shorts on the output filter board. If they check good, check relays 3 and 4 on the same board to be sure their normally open contacts are closing in the 80 meter setting. If the contacts are good but the relay coils are not energizing on 80 meters, you have a problem on the bandswitch or control board.

Check that when the bandswitch is on 80 that only the 80 meter LED is on and no others are partially glowing. There could be shorted diodes on this board that would engage more than one filter on 80 meters. If that's good then it's probably on the control board, D2, D3, D4 and D5 or the U3 chip. These are in order from most likely to least likely. How far you go is up to you. Checking the first 4 caps for shorts should be easy and is the most likely.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.