• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amp for the radio

There's no such thing as "RMS power". There's PEP, and there's AVERAGE.

There is RMS VOLTAGE, yes. But not RMS power. :headbang

It says RMS watts right in this here manual. Page three.

http://www.dosy.com/pdf/tc4002sw.pdf

RMS/Peak Watts
The RMS/PEAK mode switch (#2 Fig. 1) permits the selection
of either RMS or Peak Watt reading when measuring watts.
In the RMS position, there will be steady or very little movement
of the watt meter needle. When the RMS/Peak Mode Switch
(#2 Fig. 1) is in Peak position, watt meter will indicate peak
power output.:sleep:

:bdh: So far, after the first 2or3 replies, everyone is trying to correct the last post they read instead of the real question! I KNOW THERE IS NO CARRIER ON SSB! Never said there was, just said i was considering TS500 because i had a RCI2950. (Can use the amp with both radios)! The radio in question is the Cobra 29 lxle with a RFX75, and a variable DK. With the variable DK turned wide open, the radio will produce , in (PEP)14W DK, and then with audio it will swing to 75w (PEP). Will the TS500 hold up to this radio?

It does an RFX75 thingamabobber on it. (PEP) is always more than (RMS) and im not sure how most amps are rated, when they talk about a 1-2w carrier,and let it swing! Is it in (PEP) or (RMS) Im new to amps, so i got some learnin to do.
I also have an rci2950 (non dx) and will use the amp for SSB, thats why i was leaning toward the TS500 if the cobra wont burn the finals.

The RCI is the perfect radio for that amp including in SSB mode.

If you see more than 600 watts in SSB mode with that amp there is a vr pot in the radio that controls the SSB limits and can be adjusted to bring then amp's pep down to the suggested power output.

The reason I suggest doing it that way is the variable control on the TS are ok but overtime may fail when too much input is applied.

Thanks mackmobile43! Yourself and 9c1driver seem to get what im askin about. Everyone else just seems to confuse even more. You think the cobra 29 with the variable dk at the lowest would be ok?

Thanks mackmobile43! Yourself and 9c1driver seem to get what im askin about. Everyone else just seems to confuse even more. You think the cobra 29 with the variable dk at the lowest would be ok?

The best way to figure out the answer is to look at the equipment specifications.

Texas Star 500

If this is the amplifier you are discussing it states qty of four 2sc2879 transistors for the finals.

Next step is to look at the manufactures spec for the transistors.

2SC2879 pdf, 2SC2879 description, 2SC2879 datasheets, 2SC2879 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

Look at electrical characteristics, this is for one transistor, typical input power is 6 watts, maximum is ten watts as per manufacture specs.

As far as every one correcting the last post? What harm is it to have fun on a forum?

There is the links and the information from the manufacture, you decide how much you want to drive into that amplifier, would be a good idea to look at the current requirements of the amplifier also.

Collector current shows 25 amp, each transistor, TS advertises 45 amp:eek:

Many ops try to drive the SH#T out of these amps just to watch the meter swing. Drive that amplifier with no more than 40 watts PEP (Peak Envelope Power) it will be clean, not sound distorted, the components will not be stressed and give you many years of performance. No one on the receiving end will hear the difference between 300 watts and 450 watts.

If you are transmitting 300 watts it will take 1200 watts to make another S unit on the receiving end.

Thanks waverider , this was what i was looking for. (y) Now im
understanding things a little better, that answer was straight up but simple.

Thanks waverider , this was what i was looking for. (y) Now im
understanding things a little better, that answer was straight up but simple.

Your welcome. There are many different opinions, and different ways to do things as far as the hobby goes.

This forum has so much information, and as you have found out the members also have fun replying to the posts.

Hard to argue with the manufacture recommendations or specifications.
Of course someone will, they always do.

It says RMS watts right in this here manual. Page three.

http://www.dosy.com/pdf/tc4002sw.pdf

RMS/Peak Watts
The RMS/PEAK mode switch (#2 Fig. 1) permits the selection
of either RMS or Peak Watt reading when measuring watts.
In the RMS position, there will be steady or very little movement
of the watt meter needle. When the RMS/Peak Mode Switch
(#2 Fig. 1) is in Peak position, watt meter will indicate peak
power output.:sleep:

Yep, but "that there manual" also says it will read "peak" power, which it may or may not, depending on the value and quality of the capacitor they stick in the circuit. It'll give a "quasi-peak" value, but not PEP. And not RMS power, either. "DOSY" = Don't Overtrust; School Yourself. :D

Yep, but "that there manual" also says it will read "peak" power, which it may or may not, depending on the value and quality of the capacitor they stick in the circuit. It'll give a "quasi-peak" value, but not PEP. And not RMS power, either. "DOSY" = Don't Overtrust; School Yourself. QUOTE]

Beetle I like the DOSY acronym.:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.