• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp or Export?

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
What is the CLEANEST, easiest, most efficient way to push 60+ watts from a mobile? AMP or EXPORT? Good amp or Export recomendations?

^^ ab v c^^ 22racer

He is Right..
Easiest way is an Export..

However i think you also said Cleanest..
That would then require AB1 Biasing..

As such be sure your chosen radio does that.
Same with your amp if you go that route..

If you do use the amp route...
Your low power radio as well as your chosen amp need be AB1..

You didn't mention what price range you want or need to be in.
That said...
Typically any HF ham radio(they are easily moded for cb)
Will do the job fine..
Whether you buy new or used..

Most HF ham radios are 100 watts
(some are less & couple are more)

Myself.. Ages ago i used typical cb..then in 80's went with 10/12 meter radio's...

However..When i started to look for the Cleanest
(such as you mentioned)

I chose a Mobile HF ham radio
(even though for almost a year i was using it only for CB..But i did then after also decided to get a ham license..though still i rarely use the ham bands)

Simple answer is export, but...

I'm pretty sure most of us fall in the class of "Its never enough".
Buy a 60 watt radio and you will end up eventually buying an amp to put behind it anyway. 95% of us are guilty of that.
CB does stand for "Constantly Buying" after all. :whistle:

I think people are assuming that SSB would be the mode of use. If so, then keep in mind that none of the 'ham radios' are going to be capable of more than about 20 - 30 watts in AM mode. With that in mind I would think that using an amplifier would be the best way of going about it. I have little knowledge (or use for) any of the 'export' radios. They certainly may be 'clean', but I certainly wouldn't count on it. That's an opinion, take it how you think you should.
- 'Doc

Any unmolested export SSB radio that had been factory aligned is going to have a clean output. By design, the finals have AB class biasing. There is also a 54mhz (2nd harmonic) trap on the circuit board that has been adjusted at the factory. It is up to the operator to keep it in that state . . .

Last edited:
I have a four mosfet General HP40W, that has a hi/lo capability. Does about 40 watts or so on low and around 100 watts or so on high. Nothing fancy needed for the install other than the radio's power lead.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks all for the great answers, but that leads to more questions...
Obviosly an amp would be advertised as being class C or AB1 biasing,... but which radios are? Or would all Exports be AB1 biasing? AM/SSB is a must. FM would be great but not required. Price range would be under $500.

22racer

All the major export offerings are going to have a decent clean signal. Just don't buy one that's been hacked. Buy from a respectable shop known for properly peaking and aligning their radios.

$500 would get you a decent used TS-50, DX-70 or a few other good mobile HF rigs. Just take your time and research further. With that budget, you'll find something that'll make you happy and give you the signal and wattage your looking for.

Actually, with that budget, I'd stay away from the exports and concentrate of a good used HAM HF mobile.

Most Export radio's are Not AB biased..
Most HF Ham radios are..

Both the TS-50 and DX-70 hf radios would do Great..
Heck for about $600 you can likely pick up a 706 MKIIG

General hp 40w , I run this with the new palomar hd 450. lots of good reports and great dx.

Most Export radio's are Not AB biased..
Most HF Ham radios are..

Both the TS-50 and DX-70 hf radios would do Great..
Heck for about $600 you can likely pick up a 706 MKIIG

Hmmm . . . Have you opened up any export radio lately and looked at the diodes mounted on top of the finals or next of them near the back wall of the chassis? Those are the biasing diodes used to heat track the bias voltage. Haven't seen ANY SSB radio - export or otherwise - that didn't have them installed. Even older Uniden chassis/SSB radios have them too. Look at the schematics for these radios as well.

IIRC, all of the AM-only radios are B biased . . .

Reactions: 1 person
60 watts seems te be about the median of the export market....from about 40W to 200W in my price range.

Considering a Stryker SR-955 or Magnum S 980 at the moment. Leaning toward th SR 955 because of the backlit faceplate...alot of night driving with old eyes...Also average bout 3000 miles of washboard dirt road a year so durability is also a plus.
Heard Galaxy and Connex have drifting issues?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.