• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amp pictures i found on the net

DIRTYWHITEBOY

Feb 17, 2008
NE TN
www.supload.com
is this a ham amplifier?

3.jpg

5-PILL2.jpg

5-PILLBASE.jpg

It's a homebrew amp meant for whatever the builder intended to use it for. Given the fact there is no filtering on it I would have to say it is NOT a ham amp. Generally speaking there is no such thing as a "ham" amp or a "CB" amp. It is all in what the amp is PROPERLY designed to do. In general "CB" amps have no filtering and are often class C whereas a "ham" amp is class AB (rarely class B) and has output filtering to meet regulations.Also the fact that it is a one driving four tells me it is NOT meant for ham band use unless it was intended to be used with a TX with less than one watt output. It's all about standards and respect for regulations as well as respect for others on the bands as far as splatter and IMD performance is concerned. I can't wait to see other replies. I'm sure it will start something but then again you knew that didn't you?

Looks like a POS amp to me, at least so far from the quality of the build. ( or lack there of )

the most interesting part is some poor SOB is going to pay top buck for that thing.... I'd be ashamed to post pictures of that thing let alone sell it to someone!

HAMS HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

It's a homebrew amp meant for whatever the builder intended to use it for. Given the fact there is no filtering on it I would have to say it is NOT a ham amp. Generally speaking there is no such thing as a "ham" amp or a "CB" amp. It is all in what the amp is PROPERLY designed to do. In general "CB" amps have no filtering and are often class C whereas a "ham" amp is class AB (rarely class B) and has output filtering to meet regulations.Also the fact that it is a one driving four tells me it is NOT meant for ham band use unless it was intended to be used with a TX with less than one watt output. It's all about standards and respect for regulations as well as respect for others on the bands as far as splatter and IMD performance is concerned. I can't wait to see other replies. I'm sure it will start something but then again you knew that didn't you?
am glad you cleaned that statement up, QRL or whatva making that comment
only a ham would say something like that, but you stepped back on the curb
with the remark, not all box builders build dirty amps, and trust me alot of them are not hams dont make it sounds like hams are thee elite broadcasters because they are not, and i might get banned but i hate when hams make dumb comments, when most of them came from cb radio, now that they have ham radios, they turn their nose up at cbers.. well listen i have my ticket and i love cb, i know some tech that have more on the cap then most hams, do plz be careful when u make remarks like that.. not all of us cbers are cber and i will never become a ham snob, i know where i came from, if it wasnt for cb radio their wouldnt be no ham radio, (na, nananananaaa )

straight razor,
I, for one, think it's great that you can turn things around to rationalize your feelings. Good for you!
- 'Doc

this forum is pretty tollerant IMO . i say this both from observation AND experience .

im a cb'er too . i think (lol) ive decided to go to some porkbutt meeting/clubs around here and work on a entry ticket later this summer , but thats neither here nor there .

some of these guys may have personally been around since befor cb . theres no chicken or the egg drama here , ham radio was around befor cb . some cbers may become hams , but there would be NO cb'ers if it wernt for the hams long befor them .

as well as our radios and amps seem to work on our lil section of the bands , we apparently are only tasting the tip of the iceberg of what is possible with RF communications . the hams/amateurs have much higher system requirements and more modes of communication than we do . btw ..... us cb'ers are not the pros , but some of the folks on this forum do work in the professional communications field .

if you look at QRN's thread everything he said is absolutely true . and he was speaking in "general" terms .
but being a ham is certianly not a definate sign of technical intelligence . youre a ham and youre defending that piece of gator crap amp .............

Last edited by a moderator:
HEATHKIT SB-220 HF AMATEUR 2kw LINEAR AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 260411777481 end time May-26-09 13:41:06 PDT)

yaesu fl-2100B Linear Amplifier - eBay (item 130306150554 end time May-19-09 15:04:52 PDT)

These are along the lines of what you should be looking for especially if you are going ham. And yes there is a difference between a ham amp and a CB amp.

Ham amps like Yaesu,Kenwood,Alpha,Collins,Henry,Drake,Heathkit, Pride and National (just to name a few) were originally intended and built to be used by ham operators. Now sure you can convert one for use on 11 meters but that was not what they were built for hence the filtering and higher level of build quality over a cb amp.

Now amps like Palomar,Elkin,D&A,Varmints and Zodiac were meant for CB from the word go. This is why you see very little if any filtering on these amps because a clean signal was not something the builders were concerned about, and the build quality is not as high as you see with the ham amps. Which is one of the reasons you dont see very many of these types of amps around anymore. Because great care was not taken in the building of these amps and component quality was less than what one would consider high, they just dont last. But you still find a great many ham amp's that are over 30 years old and still perform like new because they were built to last!

There are a lot of ham amps built new today and you will pay an arm and a leg for one to! But if you could look into some of these long time ham op's radio rooms you would see more old boat anchor amps than you would the newer stuff. It's because the old stuff still works as well,if not better then the new ones at half the cost!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated