• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amp swap.

Chainsaw660

Sep 1, 2022
I have a ranger 69ffb4. And I don’t care for it so I decided to pull the amp section off and place it on a radio that will drive the 4 2879 Toshiba a little harder (Rci 99n1). However the out put from the amp still hovered around the same 500 watt mark. Same as with the 69ffb4. So how can I make this amp put out what 4 Toshibas should. I know it’s an amp tune thing.

I have a ranger 69ffb4. And I don’t care for it so I decided to pull the amp section off and place it on a radio that will drive the 4 2879 Toshiba a little harder (Rci 99n1). However the out put from the amp still hovered around the same 500 watt mark. Same as with the 69ffb4. So how can I make this amp put out what 4 Toshibas should. I know it’s an amp tune thing.
Your radio is working fine and being all it can be, leave it alone. Even if there was some "special" mod to get say another 150 out of it no one would even notice.

The amplifier is intended to sound right on sideband. Sadly, this is a severe handicap if the numbers you expect are what so-called "competition" amplifiers show with the same four parts.

Keeping the amplifier clean enough for SSB will hold it down to the power level you see.

And if what you want is balls-to-the-wall twin-turbo rubber-burning competition amplifier numbers, this one ain't it.

Not built that way.

This amplifier was designed by a real engineer to be clean enough for the ham bands, and clean enough for sideband.

The amplifiers you see that show numbers double this or more WILL NOT be either of those.

I ran a 69ffb4 for a weekend and really liked it. I was getting about 500 out of It on am and ssb, I would have probably tried an n6 amp on the 69 as those amp sections put out more power with less amp draw and heat. Also the 69ffb4 I ran had what I believe were fake toshibas, the tops of the transistors were a read smear like someone had wiped the fake toshiba markings off with acetone. They were good performing fakes wish I could get a sleeve of them

I ran a 69ffb4 for a weekend and really liked it. I was getting about 500 out of It on am and ssb, I would have probably tried an n6 amp on the 69 as those amp sections put out more power with less amp draw and heat. Also the 69ffb4 I ran had what I believe were fake toshibas, the tops of the transistors were a read smear like someone had wiped the fake toshiba markings off with acetone. They were good performing fakes wish I could get a sleeve of them
they are not fake they are not even toshiba they are what some think DEI Ranger did the same thing with black painted ones also i also think they are DEI but Ranger was smart about it because people that abused them and blew them up gave them a bad rep and to cut down on all the bs Ranger just blacked out the name and guess what they worked and worked well its funny to watch people claim this or that but have no idea what they are talking about when they make claims this is good and this is not people overdrive things over volt things get things to hot trash radios because it makes the meter show more even though its less the only thing more people get when they do that is repair bills and tore up radios and amps just like the op thinking he should get more than 500w from a 4 pill people need to understand the data sheets show the output at 12.5 volts and we are already putting 15 volts to them witch is hard on them running them at 12.5 volts they would last forever with the right drive even with volting them and over driving them people are still brainwashed into thinking they should do way more power and then can't understand why it blew up and run around claiming all this is junk that's junk when really its the user its always been the user but because they seen a burp on a 5 sec video everything everywhere should do that 24/7 yeah right people with that thought process are their own worst enemy and don't even know it

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.