• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amped up

Timmydav

Dec 8, 2017
So today I installed a rfx 85 in my pc 68 elite. It keys up about 3 watts but only modulates up to about 35. I've heard they will turn out about 75 pep so what
Do I need to do to pump this little radio up

A bigger driver in the radio
Itself? Ya I took it right from cb tricks and I haven't done the cap mod yet.

Several questions here...

You installed a RFX 75 or RFX 85?

THERE IS A NEWER ONE - THE RFX 95 - please be sure about this...

What did you turn the radio down to - before you installed the RFX unit?

If the radio was left "Stock" it only needed 3 to 4 watts from the radio so if you did any mods to the radio BEFORE this - you'll need to undo them - especially if you did a Swing mod using JP36 method for Cobra 29 models.

The Driver on the radio has to have it's drive level set to drive the RFX unit.

THIS IS FOR NON-HD RFX-85 models!
RFX85NOTHD.jpg

See bottom left corner - JV17/JP36 Mod location...

So if you did a mod to set the swing at 1 - 1/2Watt and go up from there - reverse it out. Then Tailor the "resistor" part of the Resistor/Cap swing combo to THE RADIOS' DRIVER to make the carrier climb to about 10 watts - it needs that as a MINIMUM in order to work properly. IF you wanted swing an amp - do NOT use the RFX to do this - get a separate external amp or modulator instead - the RFX can't work as a modulator - at least not without more help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
There is also an RFX HD (High Drive) unit that uses less wiring and I wonder if you have that instead?
It only uses one MOSFET...and a BIG relay...

AND - YOU DO NOT REMOVE THE FINAL

PDF attached...

Attachments

• RFX85HD_.PDF
    883 KB · Views: 7
So I went back and rechecked all my connections found aloose wire on the antenna hookup now itll do 20 on key up and seing right up over 75 pep!. Im gonna go ahead and put the cap and resistor in to bring it back down tune it up,and were good to go. I really appreciate your input guys.thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.