• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier for HF

AE5RD

Reformed CB'er
May 4, 2005
I have a 16 pill amplifier and I don't even use it anymore. It is a Joker 16 pill. It did great for my cb days but now I have no interest in amplified cb. Instead I would like an amplifier for my FT 840. Is Ameritron a good brand? How much power can I run into a G5RV?

Are Ameritron amplifiers any good? I think so. They aren't the 'best' by any means, but they certainly do what they are supposed to do (and I like the price$).
How much power can you use with a G5RV? It depends on that particular G5RV and how it's made/strung up. 'Legal limit' isn't unusual, but I hope you have a good tuner.
- 'Doc

I own two Ameritron amplifiers and I haven't really had any trouble with them. Well, I did have to send my AL-800H in because I melted the LF Coil, but I'm not all that sure that was the amplifier's fault (I suspect some abuse from a previous owner after I got the diagnosis back from Ameritron). I've been using an Ameritron ALS-500 mobile and have not had one single problem with it.

There are certainly nicer amplifiers made, but for the price and function, Ameritrons fit the bill for me. Now they have that ALS-1300 solid state amp, which is nice becuase you don't have any warm up time. One other good thing is that Ameritrons are made in the U.S., so you can get them serviced here if you have a problem.

I had my Ameritron AL-811 for 16 years now with now problems whatsoever. Sometimes I tune it while off band and overdrive the amp with a high exciter output, even with ALC but it's a workhorse it never dies. I just replaced the 811A's (chinese unbranded) when the plate connector rusted away. Replaced them with Russian-made Svetlana 572B's from RF parts and the amp purrs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.