• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amplifier for my magnum s6

kamikaze701st

Apr 21, 2009
i am trying to find an amplifier that will handle my magnum s6-175. it dead keys around 10 watts, and modulates to 200. is there an amplifier that wont kill the bank or have to re-tweak my radio that is around 400 to 600 watts? basically i am looking for an amplifier that will handle 200 watts peak envelope. anyone know of one?

get ready to learn about alternators , extra batteries and motor mauls . ;)

i am trying to find an amplifier that will handle my magnum s6-175. it dead keys around 10 watts, and modulates to 200. is there an amplifier that wont kill the bank or have to re-tweak my radio that is around 400 to 600 watts? basically i am looking for an amplifier that will handle 200 watts peak envelope. anyone know of one?
A
a "6 pill amp" with 2sc2879 transistors will give you 600watts out.

Booty he did say its a Magnum S-6 175
if you put that radio on a birdmeter then yes it would be a good canidate for the 6pill
or can under power a 8pill
im not talking about a texas star wanna be 8pill either

The TNT1200HD is a nice piece. It will give you a clean 600 watts out.
TNT, Xforceamps
or 600HD if you don't run side band http://www.xforceamps.com/shop/?cart=374913&cat=25
http://www.xforceamps.com/shop/?cart=374913&cat=35

depends on how far off the intended frequency you want to measure the power output from a 6 pill with 200 watts of drive going into it .
im sure that 20 to 1 swing/DK ratio will sound .......... amazing .
combine the two and ..... well ................................

PS , going from 200 to 600 watts is a fairly lateral move as far as actual effect goes .
i get almost 600 (575ish) from my 500v with only 20 or so watts modulated power into it .

Ok I will bite Doc... How much watts should he expect to get from a (6) 2sc2879 Class c, Class B amp with 200 peak watts in from his Magnum S6? I said he should at least get 600watts out. Was that number too generous?

Six 2879's finals @ 100-125 watts ea = 600 to 750 watts PEP.

The Texas Star DX350 I have is rated for 300 - and it only has two 2879's. In reality - more like 275 watts PEP fairly clean.
So those numbers stated above should be a bit conservative...maybe s high as 800 watts PEP - with a good tail wind...
:blink:

those 2879's only need 7-10 watts to reach their full PEP clean power .
http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/docs/datasheet/en/Transistor/2SC2879A_en_datasheet_071101.pdf
look at the graphs on page 3 of the PDF . notice how compression and distortion are occuring as you drive it to its rated limits . i doubt it starts getting better or cleaner when you start overdriving it .

Booty..... there you go with your book experience again..... You are out of context with your info. We are talking about a (6) 2879 amplifier......... Not a (1 ) 2879 amp. a 6pill 2879 amp need more than ten watts to get full output:thumbdown:

Booty..... there you go with your book experience again..... You are out of context with your info. We are talking about a (6) 2879 amplifier......... Not a (1 ) 2879 amp. a 6pill 2879 amp need more than ten watts to get full output:thumbdown:
Full output is not nessecarily always a good thing.

Full output is not nessecarily always a good thing.
Well... Don't know about you... but I want to be able to get full output from my equipment when I want. That does not mean I am going to run at full output all the time. From time to time I need to let my presence be known when I am making a skip contact and keep other big stations or big mobiles off my back. There is also a difference between Running at full output and over driving a piece.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.