• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amplifier for my magnum s6

Well... Don't know about you... but I want to be able to get full output from my equipment when I want. That does not mean I am going to run at full output all the time. From time to time I need to let my presence be known when I am making a skip contact and keep other big stations or big mobiles off my back. There is also a difference between Running at full output and over driving a piece.(y)
A good antenna in the hand is worth 2 amps in the bush.

ok maybe you people didnt understand the question. i dont want to run a stupid motormaul, i dont wanna have to run another battery. all i want to know is this....is there an amplifier around 500 watts (plus or minus a little) that will handle 200 watts peak envelope?????? if there is not, dont give me the run around and a lecture about amplifiers. i dont want a 6 pill amplifier. the most i want to run is a 4 pill. if there isnt an amplifier that will handle 200 watts from a magnum s-6175, then just freakin say so. i dont want to have to turn down the radio everytime i want to turn on the footwarmer. if i cannot find an amplifier that will handle this radio, i guess ill just have to upgrade to the 600 watt PEP ranger, then i wont have to run an amplifier.

Booty..... there you go with your book experience again..... You are out of context with your info. We are talking about a (6) 2879 amplifier......... Not a (1 ) 2879 amp. a 6pill 2879 amp need more than ten watts to get full output:thumbdown:

i figgured the OP could do the math and figgure out that it only take 42 to 60 watts max to drive that ammount of pills to their full output .
far far shy of 200 watts !! i wonder how clean they six are with 200 watts of drive ???

but......that rating is by the folks that did the research and development of the 2sc2879 and therefore invented the thing . but ....... what the hell do they know ????
they should fire all those folks and hire you to take their place since you know more than they do .

the difference between 200 watts and 500 watts is not gonna be huge or even pretty significant . you can put 200 watts to some of these 4 pill class C boxes and probaly see a kilowatt on a meter , but how many of those watts showing will be on the frequency your radio is TX'ing on ?

you have to decide for yourself whats more important to you .
a big (bragging rights) number on a watt meter ????
or a clean clear signal that isnt bleeding all over the place ????
then you will have your answer .

Here are two amplifiers that will work with your 175 watt Magnum.

TNT 600hd

Transistors 4 x 2SC2879
Dimensions H 4 3/4' x L 11' x W 6 3/4'
Amp Draw (maximum) 100
Class B biasing
SSB Delay yes
Pre-amp yes
Driver Required TNT 250 (optional)
Power Output (RMS) 300 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 625 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) 400 Watts
Driven Power (PEP) 1000 Watts
install recommended with 4ga wire
and 125a fuse. Max input carrier of
20w or 300w max carrier from amp.
Max peak input 240 watts

TNT 1200HD

Transistors 6x 2SC2879
Dimensions H 4 3/4' x L 11' x W 6 3/4'
Amp Draw (maximum) 120
Class B
SSB Delay yes biasing
Pre-amp yes
Driver Required TNT 250 (optional)
Power Output (RMS) 400 Watts
Power Output (PEP) 725 Watts
Driven Power (RMS) 650 Watts
Driven Power (PEP) 1200 Watts
install recommended with 2ga wire
and 125a fuse. Max input carrier of
25w or 450w max carrier from amp.
Max peak input 350w

You have a pretty big radio there, there is no amp that will take 175 watts peak and only give you 500 in return. If you want to do that buy a regular S6 and run a 2 pill with 2879's.

i guess i will stay out of this since
A7DX commented to me that i dont know shit about amplifiers
i didnt know this is what a forum is about

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.