• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier for SSB

Shop said it was only putting out two watts and I have an Astatic multimeter that keyed at 2, that’s it, just two... He said This radio was not known for power and that’s all he could squeak out. I am looking for a local radio shop in the WASHINGTON DC area. Can’t find one near me.
First off that tech you took it to is an idiot, second if the radio is only putting out 2 watts then there seems like there is something wrong with the radio. The Washington is a older radio therefore there could be capacitors that are leaking and need to be replaced, the RF transistors could be going bad. Yes two watts is the preferred output into a cb amp but there is more going on here. The radio needs to checked over by a qualified tech(hard to find in the cb world) and parts replaced. The radio could close to dieing completely.

First off that tech you took it to is an idiot, second if the radio is only putting out 2 watts then there seems like there is something wrong with the radio. The Washington is a older radio therefore there could be capacitors that are leaking and need to be replaced, the RF transistors could be going bad. Yes two watts is the preferred output into a cb amp but there is more going on here. The radio needs to checked over by a qualified tech(hard to find in the cb world) and parts replaced. The radio could close to dieing completely.
Maybe he should think about the option of buying a new radio that will have a 60 to 100 PEP watts and forget about an amplifier.

Megawatt has great units, and they don't make static in the receiver like the cheap ones.

I wrote the company this morning and heard back from the owner.
I like this one: http://www.megawattpowersupplies.com/assets/Big_New_Stick_33_Amp.jpg

you set the voltage with a set screw and a volt meter. KISS

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I voiced your concerns in a message I drafted to him this morning, paraphrasing of course. I went to the trouble of going through the PRESIDENT company thinking they would do whatever was necessary to restore this radio or tell me it was pointless. I am re-upset and I agree with your assessment; he is a nice guy.

Maybe he should think about the option of buying a new radio that will have a 60 to 100 PEP watts and forget about an amplifier.
Yeah, just working with what I have since at some point I sit for the technician license. CB is my test piece for my base and future HAM setup. I anticipate big dollars once I get the green light from uncle charlie to spend some real money on radio equipment.

If I had a reputable radio shop in the GD Washington, DC area or nearby I would pay to have it looked at. I have to stop thinking about it before I blow a gasket.

Last edited:
Yes it does and i just finished a note to john about the 110v grounded power cord AND the instructions for the power cord——Instructions? Huh? I asked him to send them to me before I bought this thing.
Instructions on how and where to attach / solder the three power leads.

Instructions on how and where to attach / solder the three power leads.
If the power cables are required to be attached to the inside of the cabinet, maybe you should consider having MegaWatt attach / solder the power cables to the inside of the power supply. This will prevent you from tampering with the warranty decal / seal.

Reactions: Radiomatrix
Yes it does and i just finished a note to john about the 110v grounded power cord AND the instructions for the power cord——Instructions? Huh? I asked him to send them to me before I bought this thing.
After zooming-in on a photo of the power supply, I am assuming the power cord attaches to the N L and Ground terminal screws on the front of the power supply. The instructions probably indicate which color wire attaches to the corresponding terminal screw.

You will probably need to crimp or solder insulated Ring Terminals or lugs onto the three wires. Are there feet on the bottom of the case to prevent scratching / damaging the desk or table and to allow circulation of air?

Reactions: Radiomatrix

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.