• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier split reduced power switch not an option?

Capt Crunch

Captain Crunch NJ Mobile
Nov 3, 2015
New Jersey
www.iamawesome.com
Not very technical here. I was told, you can't halve an amplifiers power with a switch in a "CB" amplifier. Like an 8 "pill" with a switch to just use 4 pills or a 12 switching to 6. I never knew. Is that true?

In the late 1970s GM came up with an engine for Cadillac models they called the "4-6-8" or something like that. To reduce fuel consumption it was supposed to put two or four cylinders on "standby" for steady highway cruise speed.

Was a disaster. The motor couldn't decide how big it was, constantly changing back and forth. GM dropped it like a hot potato.

The only effective way to reduce the power from a large amplifier is to simply reduce the drive-power level. The resistors to do this are cheap for a low-drive amplifier, but not so cheap for a large one.

Doesn't mean what you suggest can't be done. Just means it was never worth anyone's while to develop the technique.

In the late 1970s GM came up with an engine for Cadillac models they called the "4-6-8" or something like that. To reduce fuel consumption it was supposed to put two or four cylinders on "standby" for steady highway cruise speed.

Was a disaster. The motor couldn't decide how big it was, constantly changing back and forth. GM dropped it like a hot potato.

The only effective way to reduce the power from a large amplifier is to simply reduce the drive-power level. The resistors to do this are cheap for a low-drive amplifier, but not so cheap for a large one.

Doesn't mean what you suggest can't be done. Just means it was never worth anyone's while to develop the technique.

Just a little surprised. Didn't think it was that hard to do but I am no tech, obviously. I understand adjusting input power. I just wanted an option to use 4 or 8 "pills" as desired. Guessing I would have to buy one of each, and not happening LOL.

Just a little surprised. Didn't think it was that hard to do but I am no tech, obviously. I understand adjusting input power. I just wanted an option to use 4 or 8 "pills" as desired. Guessing I would have to buy one of each, and not happening LOL.

GM actually has a better system for this now called DOD (displacement on demand), but it's not perfect. The lifters on the 4 cylinders that they "shut off" are heavy and prone to early failure.
But the system, when in good working order, works seamlessly and as designed.
Every V8 GM has made this century (I think) has this feature, and there are millions of them on the road.
As far as cutting power in an amp by disabling sections, sure it's possible, but the tuning required for the relays that would be required and the added complexity of the circuits would make things much more difficult to build and would drive the cost up.
It's easier to just run a smaller amp if that's what's required.

Reactions: Capt Crunch
Not very technical here. I was told, you can't halve an amplifiers power with a switch in a "CB" amplifier. Like an 8 "pill" with a switch to just use 4 pills or a 12 switching to 6. I never knew. Is that true?

I have never seen a "cb" amplifier that would do this. The best I saw was one that was a 2 driving 8 setup. There were switches where you could run just the driver (2 pill), just the straight 8, or run it as a 2x8.

Reactions: Capt Crunch

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.