• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifiers and Airbags

900FDA2F-34D0-41C3-8187-90FF2216252C.jpeg

Read around a little and see that EMI/RF shielding is a thing for aircraft using braided sleeve.
That’s great for aircraft because they can't take any risk of interference.

It would be just as great if cars and trucks did the same but there is no regulations for manufacturers to do so.

Interference goes both ways. I do know on hybrid cars when it's in electric mode the noise on radio's can be horrendous.

Likewise for my semi truck, on 40 meters when accelerating, the fuel injection noise wipes out all but the stronger signals. This has been the case with Cummins and Volvo engines.

Just wait till we are forced to run all electric, forget mobile radio's by then!

That’s great for aircraft because they can't take any risk of interference.

It would be just as great if cars and trucks did the same but there is no regulations for manufacturers to do so.

Interference goes both ways. I do know on hybrid cars when it's in electric mode the noise on radio's can be horrendous.

Likewise for my semi truck, on 40 meters when accelerating, the fuel injection noise wipes out all but the stronger signals. This has been the case with Cummins and Volvo engines.

Just wait till we are forced to run all electric, forget mobile radio's by then!

I’ve been buying Electriduct brand braided copper woven sleeve to make RF Bonds. Thinking I may “encase” the coax run in the pickup in same. Ground each end.

I’ll grant that treating vehicles potential or actual RF interference problems is of greater soundness as an approach. That RFI towards the transceiver isn’t fixed this way, but the approach has the appeal of RFI effects towards vehicle electrics might be lessened.

And it may not do squat. The “protection” is at 10/9 Hertz vs 10/6 Hertz needed (if I’ve understood what I’ve read).

Anyone tried the approach of grounded sleeving for the radio power & coax?

That's taking it to the next level :)

I just finished a rewire of my vehicle last night, it was hard enough to find places to route larger power wire without adding another layer over it.

As I was doing it though I did think of this thread :)

Reactions: Slowmover
That's taking it to the next level :)

I just finished a rewire of my vehicle last night, it was hard enough to find places to route larger power wire without adding another layer over it.

As I was doing it though I did think of this thread :)

Ideally, we Do It Once, and Do It Right.
Am thinking of this like “insurance”.
Besides, it can fit under split-loom casing for wire + coax (as it’d tear otherwise).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.