• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AMPLIFIERS/ TUBES OR TRANSISTORS?

Sound wise, not really. I will challenge anyone to a blindfold test because CB or Ham is not HI-FI audio where the sheen from tube amps is only marginally noticeable.

I you'll always have the experts that can hear the difference. If a quality tube or transistor amplifier is ran within its limits minus a little to have headroom for overshoot no one can hear the difference. I've stumped a few local experts with the Pepsi challenge.

The difference is how the distortion sounds when the amplifier is overdriven. People won't run equipment with dynamic headroom in mind because it cost too much to have the watts they want. They can drive the piss out of an old sweep tube amp and it doesn't sound as shitty as an over driven 2 pill. That must mean the tubes just sound better.

Reactions: fourstringburn
I had heard there were a couple of supposed know-it-alls in this Group that liked to hear themselves talk... Trolls... People said they were A'Holes and I wondered WHO could they be ???
I found them !!!
One of them is a Total A'Hole, so much so that he refers to himself as a "Professional Amateur"... ??? HOW does one become a Professional Amateur ??? ROFLMAO !!!
Must have got that Award in a Cracker-Jack Box along with his HAM License...
Professional A'Hole, maybe... Nothing more...

I thought something smelled like shit and I was right. Time to flush him.

In case anybody else is wondering the amateur in my avatar does not refer to amateur radio but rather to amateur as in not professional therefore I am a pro at being an amateur. WMS is a pro at being an asshole.

Reactions: Tallman and 222DBFL
Something about him did not sit right. He joined here in August of 2012 and made a single post. Next posts were not until March 2016 (one) then he started in July. He has been looking and lurking yet he claims that he "heard something" about this forum. Anyway enough about that.

Carverandamp.jpg

Bob Carver and his Toy

Reactions: fourstringburn
Now that's a tube! My friend Artie Arthur windjammer (RIP) would remove the cove on his Viking 500.
With the room lights off those 811's had the coolest purplish blueish glow I'd ever seen. It was a long time ago but that's the way I remember it.

That is a single 833C. The top pins are the grid (on the right) and the plate (on the left). The filament pins are on the bottom and require 10 volts at 10 amps to light them. One of those has a plate dissipation of 350 watts. I serviced many 1 Kw AM broadcast transmitters that had a pair in the RF finals which were plate modulated by a pair of them in audio service. The TX cabinet looked pretty cool with the four of them lit in the dark along with six 807's as well.

1-15-10-833a-tubes.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Damn that looks sweet.
I think there's always gonna be folks who just dig the warm glow emitted by tubes and I'm one of them.
There's just something I can't exactly put my finger on.
I'm sure that nostalgia has much to do with it.

I think there's always gonna be folks who just dig the warm glow emitted by tubes and I'm one of them.
There's just something I can't exactly put my finger on.
I'm sure that nostalgia has much to do with it

That's really what it is. I dig the whole tube thing myself!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.