• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

amps and computers

Mar 5, 2011
got kinda of an off the wall question im realy big into computers and im just getting into cb's have a cobra 2000 want to hook a 1200 wat amp to it it sits on the same desk as my computer im running bare foot wright now and when i key up it comes threw the computer and realy messin with the sound on the computer was woundering when i hook the amp to it is there a chance that it will fry my pc and if so how far should i keep the cb and amp from the pc etc any help would be great thanks

Delaware HillBilly

Looks like you won't be using an amp before you learn how to get rid of "Common Mode Current". When the transmitted RF signals have a chance to come back down the coax and into your radio shack, that is "common mode current".

Best thing to do, is a) put the antenna higher and b) make a RF choke near the feed point of the antenna.

Read this:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/48415-ugly-balun.html

PC and AMPS

Well i am running a cobra 148 and a magnum 125 sitting 3 feet from my pc and my A 99 is 20 feet from the pc and 15 above it ONLY trouble i have is cb coming thrue pc speakers and ( amp on ) my dell mouse quits working no biggy i just unplug and replug all is well again just my 2 cents

Will it destroy the hardware part of the computer? I doubt it. Will it 'mess' with things? You can bet the farm on that!
Computers and radios hate each other, can't get around that. You can arbitrate and make them 'get along', but it ain't a 'plug-n-play' thingy at all. There are a whole gob of things that can be affected, computer speaker systems are probably the first on the list. And there are RF generators inside that computer too, so hearing the computer on the radio is also a possibility. You'll have soooo much fun with all that!
It's certainly possible to do what you intend, but count on problems along the way.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Thats alot of power to be setting next to your computer. MY COMP AND COMPUTER ARE IN THE SAME ROOM AND AS OF YET i HAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS. aNTENNA IS ABOUT 40' IN THE AIR AND 15' FROM THE COMPUTER. rADIO STUFF IS ABOUT 6' AWAY ON ANOTHER DESK. aT MOST i'VE ONLY RAN MY CUSTOM ONE OF A KIND 300W BOX ONLY ONCE. Can you say RF into everything? Sorry for the caps hit a wrong key too lazy to rewrite.:bdh:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.