• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

And the Imax came tumbling down...

Atlasta

May 7, 2011
...Yes indeedy it did. Took close to a 70 MPH wind but the damn thing broke where the middle section screws into the base (the stud broke off) and the top part splintered as well. So it's time for a new antenna.

I liked the Imax and am inclined to buy another. But before doing that I figured it would be wise to mine the collective brain trust on this site for possible alternatives.

So with the following in mind what would be a good choice for replacement:

Power output is no more than 1,000 watts and I do mostly local talking. ('local' in this case is the AZ- NV- CA area), don't operate above 27.995 or below 26.025. Most of the time I'm on the regular band or slightly above. I live in a high wind area and the antenna will be roof-mounted on a tripod with a 5-ft. mast.

Suggestions? Thanks.

thats a weak

spot in them.I would get a m103 maco beam,they are a proven work horse.And have a good wind life...73 de JW Late note,i have had many a99 and they will hold up in high winds,i had a f2 tornado come in my area in 2002 and it stayed up,73 de JW

http://www.palcoelectronics.com/p1005081.aspx

about $80 delivered

electrically the same as the maco 5/8 and a few folks on forums have said the workman is more robust .

CBRadioMagazine.com - Maco V 5/8 Antenna Review

if you wanna spend more money the penetrator 500 is a popular choice .

Hy-Gain SPT-500 Super Penetrator HF Vertical Antennas - DXEngineering.com

if you don't want ground radials the gainmaster has a lot of good things being said about it .

new base antenna by sirio-H&Y Electronics

and of course there's one of homers favorites , the old original astroplane .

Reactions: 2 people
...Yes indeedy it did. Took close to a 70 MPH wind but the damn thing broke where the middle section screws into the base (the stud broke off) and the top part splintered as well. So it's time for a new antenna.

I liked the Imax and am inclined to buy another. But before doing that I figured it would be wise to mine the collective brain trust on this site for possible alternatives.

So with the following in mind what would be a good choice for replacement:

Power output is no more than 1,000 watts and I do mostly local talking. ('local' in this case is the AZ- NV- CA area), don't operate above 27.995 or below 26.025. Most of the time I'm on the regular band or slightly above. I live in a high wind area and the antenna will be roof-mounted on a tripod with a 5-ft. mast.

Suggestions? Thanks.
considering your mounting location ,and high wind area id say go for the sirio top one
i also had my imax snap in same spot ,aswell as another local here . wont EVER buy another one again

Reactions: 1 person
sirio have a clone of the astroplane 5/8 wave, it has no gamma match.comes pre tuned 1>1.2. looks the same as the old avanti design (tube construction). I bought one, not put it up yet, it is replacing an i max
it is confusing as they do also call it a `top one`
or they do one which also has gamma match tuning and is 1/4 wave (flat plate hoop)
:headbang

If your area is Prone to High winds.

I would suggest the Interceptor I-10K
>>> Home of the Interceptor 10* Antenna <<<
It is likely the best if not right there with the best as far as performance in receiving and getting out..
However it is Absolutely the Best for High wind areas.

Mine has taken a few F1 & F2 storms as well as 3 tornado's within 3 miles of me.
I remember once it was so windy.. i heard it knocking on my roof...so i went out to look thinking it had come down..
Instead the antenna was flexing so much it was folding over and hitting the roof...so i figured by next day it would be toast...
The following day it was perfect though..lol
Yes though it is a bit expensive..but well worth it.

Another excellent antenna is one by wolf
>> Wolf Radio.com CB, Ham, Pirate Radio Antennas [CB Antenna] <<

as far as what i have seen.. in MY Opinion this is the Only other antenna out there that can possibly compete with the I-10K.
Indeed an Excellent working antenna
(less expensive then I-10K but also seems to be built very well Too)

are either of those still being made ?

No on the Wolf, and I've recently heard the I10k is also no longer being made, but I'm not certain of that and wouldn't want to spread bad info!

Check for yourself!!

I 2nd that the I10k is the best of the best in terms of strength, perhaps only equaled by the $500+ MrCoily .64, but for the money and at wind loads of <90mph, I'd go with the Super Penetrator500. I10k performance for 40% the price!

But from 90mph-250mph, definitely the I10k. :blink:

Any of the others will work, just not as well. Here my Penetrator beat my Imax by about 1 s-unit, all things considered.
I truly expect you'll experience improved performance over what you had with the Imax, from the Penetrator if you go that route.

It's also quite possibly the least TVI causing vertical made. (y)

Hmmm, only 21' for 11m where the Penetrator is 22' 9.5" (and only 1/2 the price!). If you consider that 21' is the entire length, then remove about 18" for the bottom mounting and insulator, you end up with another copy of the 19.5' Maco radiator, not a full 5/8.

You could also consider getting a Vector and rebuilding the top so it stays together in the wind. ;)

sirio have a clone of the astroplane 5/8 wave, it has no gamma match.comes pre tuned 1>1.2. looks the same as the old avanti design (tube construction). I bought one, not put it up yet, it is replacing an i max
it is confusing as they do also call it a `top one`
or they do one which also has gamma match tuning and is 1/4 wave (flat plate hoop)
:headbang

you get it up let us know. ive heard good reviews

Fuck the I maxx, get a real antenna, get the Penetrator 500. DX Engineering has them as well as R&L Electronics... :)

Fuck the I maxx, get a real antenna, get the Penetrator 500. DX Engineering has them as well as R&L Electronics... :)

Since Zman put it a little mildly, allow me to re-emphasize his point 'in other words'...

SCREW THE IMAX, GET THE PENETRATOR!

...or something like that :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.