• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

And the Imax came tumbling down...

those $350 to $500+ omnis are really strong physically . FWIU electrically they are similar to loss robustly built similar designs . you could get a vector 4000 or gainmaster plus a set of 3 or 4 element beams and a small rotor for similar or less money though ................

Reactions: 2 people
those $350 to $500+ omnis are really strong physically . FWIU electrically they are similar to loss robustly built similar designs . you could get a vector 4000 or gainmaster plus a set of 3 or 4 element beams and a small rotor for similar or less money though ................
I agree. Think that the Vector 4000 is still the best vertical CB antenna out there too - bar none.

But since his first antenna was lost to high winds, I think that wind may always be an issue for him.

The Imax is very flexible and can stand a great deal of wind before it snaps. They may bend a lot; but fiberglass is very tough to break. I've seen pictures of them going horizontal and still not breaking. Here on the central coast of CA, we seldom see 70mph winds sustained. We did have some 55+mph sustained winds here a few years back, and the Imax was practically horizontal too. Even the more expensive and sturdy built aluminum 5/8 wave antennas are going to be pushed to their limits and can break too - given these same circumstances. How well any antenna is mounted is going to contribute to its ability to handle sustained winds and not to be forgotten.

One might ask the question: 'should I put up a $500 aluminum antenna and pay $200 for parts to repair it; or should I just spend $125 for another Imax and just replace it should it fail again?'

Think I would get the Vector 4000 - just the better antenna - and repair it should it fail from wind once again. Much less spent over the ~$500 vertical (about ~$170 for a Vector 4K) should it fail again. Much better receive, much better transmit, and the parts to repair aren't going to cost more than the antenna cost to fix or replace it. How much better than an Imax? Maybe 1 S-unit or better. But that is still a lot, if one considers what is at stake when counting on any antenna to deliver its very best . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

And that is bang for the buck! A budget crank up or tilt over tower with a beam can easily be put in a "safe" position while the storms blow through. Add to that the amount of gain, plus the rejection of unwanted signals... you've got a tough combination for about the same amount of money as the high ticket GP.

RT307

However, as far as the new SPT 500 and the old SPT 500 i cant say which one is better. I think the older ones are made of a stiffer aluminum but i could be wrong. Id like to get a new SPT 500 just to compare the two. Mine is from 1975 and is 100% original....

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.