• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Annoying noise on channel 23

jessejamesdallas

Apr 4, 2005
Republic of Texas
Ever since I can remember there's always been this annoying sound on channel 23 that repeats itself twice, then after that there's no pattern as to the next time it will go off...Sometimes it will repeat after a minute or so, other times within maybe 30 seconds, then other times it may take up to 5 minutes, but it's always there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

In the video the sound hit's me at 9 pounds on the meter (which is about normal) but sometimes after hitting me at 9, it may only hit me at 2 or 3 pounds, then go back to 9 pounds...

I get something similar to that but it pulses rapidly 3 times and stops. I seem to hear it at least once every time I'm around 22 to 24. The first time I heard it I dropped down a few channels to tune up and thought I was triggering it when I keyed.

I used to get the same, but it's been many years ago. It was a transmitter to a pager system like doctors use. Not sure if anybody uses that stuff anymore, though.

Brett

Ever since I can remember there's always been this annoying sound on channel 23 that repeats itself twice, then after that there's no pattern as to the next time it will go off...Sometimes it will repeat after a minute or so, other times within maybe 30 seconds, then other times it may take up to 5 minutes, but it's always there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

In the video the sound hit's me at 9 pounds on the meter (which is about normal) but sometimes after hitting me at 9, it may only hit me at 2 or 3 pounds, then go back to 9 pounds...

http://www.biocomp.net/o27881.htm

2v8o8et.jpg

Attachments

• RS Paging System.pdf
    559 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: 222DBFL
There are a ton of devices that operate on legally on CB channels. From wireless mice to RC cars, etc. Hard to tell exactly what it is. I think as technology moves forward and gets cheaper they are moving to much higher frequencies outside CB and amateur radio.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I lived close to some one that had a garage door opener on one of the "ALPHA" channels.

for some odd reason it seemed to not work properly.

lots of weird noises on CB.

the local wallgreens automatic door makes noise in my radio if I'm in the parking lot.

I had a wireless mouse that would make noise on 19a. move the mouse and the radio would go brbrbrbrbrbrb with enough power to wash 19 on my base with about 5 pounds. no cursor movement when I key up.

had some fun messing with the RC car/boat users that ran on 14a. most of the time they'd just stop, but one guy had a car that would take off full speed in a straight line when I'd key on 14. even off a channel I had more power and distance than his remote. he got some exercise that day.

Last edited:
lots of weird noises on CB.

the local wallgreens automatic door makes noise in my radio if I'm in the parking lot.

I had a wireless mouse that would make noise on 19a. move the mouse and the radio would go brbrbrbrbrbrb with enough power to wash 19 on my base with about 5 pounds. no cursor movement when I key up.

had a some fun messing with the RC car/boat users that ran on 14a. most of the time they'd just stop, but one guy had a car that would take off full speed in a straight line when I'd key on 14. even off a channel I had more power and distance than his remote. he got some exercise that day.

LOL I did that on Christmas day one time... some kids had a new remote control car and were playing with it in the street. I keyed my mic up and that thing went berserk! They were looking at me as I drove off, and I think they had to wonder if it was that big antenna on my truck causing all that fuss.

Brett

Reactions: Vortex780
Whatever is the culprit, you can hear it for miles. Today while driving home from work, I flipped the radio on channel 23 to see if I could find out just how close I had to be from the house before I could start hearing the noise.

About 8 miles from the house (as the crow flys) I could hear it, but just barely. Then once in the city limits, it was really pegging the needle. (still about 5 miles from home)

We have a Federal Prison here in town, and I always thought (and had been told) that the noise came from the Prison, something they had turned on all the time caused the noise.

But I noticed as I drove by today, that once you got in front of the Prisons gates, the noise actually was hardly noticeable, which is weird because once you got past the prison, the signal level of the noise increased again...It's like there's a dead-zone around the prison...

I was going to ask do you live near any type of federal service. I can remember when I lived near the border I would get the same thing on 23 for years and I never pinpointed it but figured it had to do with the border patrol equipment. It basically made the channel unuseable,

I was going to ask do you live near any type of federal service. I can remember when I lived near the border I would get the same thing on 23 for years and I never pinpointed it but figured it had to do with the border patrol equipment. It basically made the channel unuseable,
Same here. There's no use in getting on 23 around here because the noise just drops the maul on everyone your trying to hear. Just can't figure out why if it's coming from something at the Prison, why the signal dies away when your close up...

Pretty sure tho it must be coming from the prison, because if I point my beam NW (which is in the general direction of the prison) I get the strongest reading (9 on the meter) But I still can get a signal even pointed away from the prison, (between 6 and 7 on the meter pointed in any other direction)

Maybe do a little fox hunting per say. Drive around with a mobile w rf gain. Find the strongest signal you can with rf gain way down. Then try unhooking the antenna, turn rf gain back up and go from there. If it is on the prison property probably not much you can do about it....

The new federally mandated train speed control system has hosed our classic CB radio channel (13) 27.115 Mhz. The transponders operate on AM. We're F'd because we all bought new crystals for our old tube rigs just so we could be on freq. The FCC could care less so its time to fire up the Henry :mad:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated