• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Annoying noise on channel 23

The new federally mandated train speed control system has hosed our classic CB radio channel (13) 27.115 Mhz. The transponders operate on AM. We're F'd because we all bought new crystals for our old tube rigs just so we could be on freq. The FCC could care less so its time to fire up the Henry :mad:

so I can key up on 13 now and send the train hurtling down the tracks?

no more waiting the the RXR for me!.(y)

Reactions: jessejamesdallas
I know, its simply unfathomable that they chose 27.115 MHz of all the frequencies for a Train Safety System, one centered on the splattered CB bands and AM mode to boot. Even though it may only use a couple of watt transponder trigger transceiver, it totally disrupts any form of CB communication on CH 13 for miles until the train leaves the area or pulls into the station.

All I can gather so far is that the technology was developed in northern Europe years ago and they just copied the system here state side.

I think that the only thing that would happen, if a very strong AM carrier and signal on 27.115 MHz is present, would be to possibly disrupt the trains ability to "hear" the transponders in the track for "X" amount of distance, not send it hurtling down the tracks. Maybe the conductor would get an alert that he lost transponder signals and would be alerted when he got it back.

In the "What the hell were they thinking dept"... still way stupid :confused: and extra annoying for the fans of classic CB radio night here. I can imagine being in the discovery meetings and someone saying "Hey you know this is a CB radio frequency in the US right?" and someone else answering " Who cares the FCC green lighted it"

Last edited:
The new federally mandated train speed control system has hosed our classic CB radio channel (13) 27.115 Mhz...

??? what are you talking bout? got a link?

most of the new RR control systems operate on 220 MHz.

There are also issues with the use of these frequencies outside the US; in Canada, 220 MHz remains part of the radioamateur 1.25-metre band.

Other bands besides 220 MHz will support PTC, and have been used to win approvals from the FRA for PTC. When Amtrak received their initial approval, they planned to use900 MHz frequencies for ACSES. BNSF Railway won its first PTC approvals from the FRA for an early version of ETMS using a multi-band radio that included 45 MHzfrequencies, 160 MHz frequencies, 900 MHz frequencies and WiFi.

Reactions: midnight special
Anyone near you Jesse that is playing with an RC car or RC plane?
naaaa....even if they were, they wouldn't be playing them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week... This sound never go's away. About the only thing it does is change in the number of times it repeats itself in a hour...never herd it on any of the other channels either, just 23.

We have a very similar noise just North of Houston. I hear it on channel 19 often. I've heard guys 15 miles from me talking about the noise while I was also hearing it, so its get some serious range.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.