• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another Galaxy question

TimberGhost

Jul 19, 2007
I got the cold solder fixed on my Galaxy DX959 now the only problem left is this humming everytime I key up the mic. What could be causing this?? The SWR is 1.5 which as low as I can seem to get it with my new Wilson 5000 magnet mount on my Jeep. I have tried a new mic with no luck. What else could be the problem??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

TimberGhost said:
I got the cold solder fixed on my Galaxy DX959 now the only problem left is this humming everytime I key up the mic. What could be causing this?? The SWR is 1.5 which as low as I can seem to get it with my new Wilson 5000 magnet mount on my Jeep. I have tried a new mic with no luck. What else could be the problem??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Need a little more information on your system.
Any noise toys installed?
Radio direct to antenna only no amp?
Both DC power wires direct to the battery?
Tried using a stock Galaxy mic?
Do other people tell you they hear the hum when you transmit or just you hear it through the talkback?
Have you tried adding a short ground strap from radio cover screw to vehicle chassis ground?
Have you tried a non magnetic mount type antenna?

should add this also.
1.5 on what frequency?may need to trim a hair off
od bottom of whip.or raise it.what type of meter?
but to me sounds like its in the mic itself .

Now all is good. A day after I posted this it stopped. It was others that heard my transmit said it was humming bad. Now the SWR dropped to 1 and the meter pegs right out on TX and all seems to transmit good.

Thanks for your advice guys I really appriciate it. I am still learning here and you all have been so helpful and easy to come to with questions.

Thanks again!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio