• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another New Guy needs help....

You might consider the optional Yaesu Power supply that snaps into the bottom of that radio instead of the Astron. It makes it a REALLY clean, portable package that takes up less desk space. I have that same setup (FT-897, AT-897, FP-30 internal power supply) and it really makes a wonderful, go-everywhere package.

For the same price you might be right on the FP-30,I will only be useing it moble once or twice a year thats why I was going with the RS35m,I have room for the external PS but now you have me thinking...O the pain heeheehee...
I will be running my power thru my APC XP900 so I dont have to worry either way.

I should add that the reason Iam buying my Ham set-up is so I can get hands on while I study for my TEST(s) so when I do pass(fingers crossed)I will be ready to go live when my callsign arrives......

50 yr old kid in a candy store with lots of time on his hands.....

A dipole antenna is so easily constructed cheaply that you should reconsider purchasing a G5RV (which really is not an all-band antenna despite many claims to the contrary). Better is to build simple resonant dipoles for the bands of interest. The fan dipole is a good idea as you get multi-band coverage from one feed line. I will say that a good choke balun, W2DU style, is ideal for such a setup. Such a balun will keep the RF on the dipole wires where it belongs and will not have problems with the higher SWR found at the band edges.

How about making an ugly balun to go with the home made dipole?

No problem, same principle. I prefer the choke style with the beads as it is more compact. While I directed to Unadilla's site this morning, one can also buy a W2DU style choke balun kit from the Wireman (about $10 last time I checked, may be more) which includes a length of coax and the beads. I used RF industries crimp-on connectors with the kit and it works very well as a balun/inline choke.

Great News...I just Talked to the President of the D.L Ham Radio Club and it turns out he lives about 5 miles south of me,had a nice talk on the phone with him and he said he would help me out(Elmer),he got his Novice license back in 63 and is big on CW...

I have lots of room for a dipole.......Antennas are easy is what he said....

Thanks everyone and now I have my Shack to buy items...Turns out I am going in a whole differant direction.......
Kenwood..TS2000
Diamond...V2000A for roof(local)..
Will add S9v vertical with radial plate and Balun when ground thaws out..
Astron RS35A...

My world of ham radio is on the way.....

Great News...I just Talked to the President of the D.L Ham Radio Club and it turns out he lives about 5 miles south of me,had a nice talk on the phone with him and he said he would help me out(Elmer),he got his Novice license back in 63 and is big on CW...

I have lots of room for a dipole.......Antennas are easy is what he said....

Good luck on your test(s) - I'm sure you will do fine. Perhaps the president of the radio club knows some VEs in the area? Maybe they can arange to meet and test you so you don't have to travel as far...

Thanks everyone and now I have my Shack to buy items...Turns out I am going in a whole differant direction.......
Kenwood..TS2000
Diamond...V2000A for roof(local)..
Will add S9v vertical with radial plate and Balun when ground thaws out..
Astron RS35A...

My world of ham radio is on the way.....

Make sure you take pics of your setup and show us how it all turns out. And, make sure you tell the other folks in the Ham Club about this site so they can come here and help others out also, or just show off their stations!

Good luck on your test(s) - I'm sure you will do fine. Perhaps the president of the radio club knows some VEs in the area? Maybe they can arange to meet and test you so you don't have to travel as far...

They(the club) do the testing out here every month as needed but I do not feel ready to take it this month.I am reading the ARRL book(level 1) and doing the tests in back as I read the book,I could just do the practice exams and remember the answers but then thats not really learning anything.......Math is my downfall so my pencil/calculator needs to be a little sharper then most :whistle:....They do testing after thier meetings,The VEs in the club are spreed out so getting them together for testing takes a bit to make sure they are at the meeting......

Make sure you take pics of your setup and show us how it all turns out. And, make sure you tell the other folks in the Ham Club about this site so they can come here and help others out also, or just show off their stations!

Yep will post a pic when I get it set up.It will still be awhile,still looking for the best deal on the TS,1475 so far,don't think I'll find it cheeper but I'am still searching :D.....

They(the club) do the testing out here every month as needed but I do not feel ready to take it this month.I am reading the ARRL book(level 1) and doing the tests in back as I read the book,I could just do the practice exams and remember the answers but then thats not really learning anything.......Math is my downfall so my pencil/calculator needs to be a little sharper then most :whistle:....They do testing after thier meetings,The VEs in the club are spreed out so getting them together for testing takes a bit to make sure they are at the meeting......

You might want to look at this site, this is how I am studying for my license. I plan on taking the Technicians and General on February 14th.

HamTestOnline™ - Ham Radio Exam Courses

Great way to study!

Just got home from the Citys with my new rig still in boxs less antenna(still thinking on that one kinda)
020.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1