• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

another new person needing help

patton

Feb 15, 2012
I really want to get a SW radio and have been looking around on forums for the right one. I do not think I want to get a tech license because I dont wish to transmit anything , but I want to be able to receive as much as possible. I think I read you can get onto other bands with a license, maybe it would be worth it to get licensed?

At any rate, I want to be able to have communication coming in if an EOTWAWKI or SHTF situation arises (although I did read somewhere that is not a good reason to get into HAM) and that CB would be better (I assume they meant locally).

I have been looking at the yaesu vx 8dr, but not sure what high gain dual band antenna and mount to put on it. Nor do I know if you can use it in a vehicle, if you can run a mobile antenna to it?

Again, not wanting to transmit, unless an emergency, just wanting to bring in as much as I possibly can.

It would be used 50% home, 50% road, camping, ect - fair amount of repeaters around, one within 4 miles, another 10

Thanks!

If you don;t want to participate in the talking side of radio then all you need is a hand held scanner and a cell phone. I think Radio Shack still sells both.

If you don;t want to participate in the talking side of radio then all you need is a hand held scanner and a cell phone. I think Radio Shack still sells both.

(y) Agreed. If the OP is so worried about communications then the best thing is to get a ticket and use the radio to it's full potential. Why wait for someone to offer up that vital piece of info you are waiting for when you can simply press the TX button and ask for it specifically. Although I do not believe a SHTF or EOTHAWKI situation is a good sole reason for getting a ticket I do believe having a ticket in such a situation is an advantage.

(y) Agreed. If the OP is so worried about communications then the best thing is to get a ticket and use the radio to it's full potential. Why wait for someone to offer up that vital piece of info you are waiting for when you can simply press the TX button and ask for it specifically. Although I do not believe a SHTF or EOTHAWKI situation is a good sole reason for getting a ticket I do believe having a ticket in such a situation is an advantage.

I agree nwith Captain Kilowatt. Ham radio is a community of like minded people. It is great to be apart of it. You will find that many want to offer any type of help so take the test and sign up. You won't regret it. Also with the studing you will find out what exactly you can and can't do. Ask any questions you want, we are here to help.(y)

Another thing to concider is ...in some states/cities if you are ever caught with a scanner in your car or on your person it can be seen as an instrument of crime ( I have heard many times of criminals using scanners to keep tabs on where the police are located... ) ...and you can find yourself looking at jail time or a huge fine.

At least with a ham license and a handheld radio you stand a chance of not being seen as some sort of thug

I have a mobile radio in my pickup that I also use a a scanner of sort to listen to the local and county cops during sevier weather,this is a big help when I am out storm spotting for the Skywarn group I am with.

One time when I was out spotting I had a county cop pull up to me and ask what I was doing there( I had my radio scanning and it stopped on the county police frequency and the deputy heard the radio,needless to say his eyes got big and he asked why I had a scanner in my truck).I informed him I was a spotter and showed him my license without being asked.He replied no problem and be safe.

I am willing to bet I would have been run through the ringer if I wouldnt have let him know I was a spotter

Just food for thought

Yeah, I was just reading about that, (police tuning out media-as well as public due to listening to them). You can google police tuning out media to find it I'm sure.

I was researching the Uniden BCD396XT when the article came up. I do want to get a license, but I am just a hair paranoid about being on a federal fcc "list". But, I have been researching all morning and the more I read, the more I want one.

I have always been intrigued-growing up there was a guy in the neighborhood with a huge tower in his backyard. We kids always thought he was CIA or something, fun times. Of course later we found out he was a HAM.

There are more possibilities with a license and great help at the local clubs, true enough, and I've read the general test is not much harder than the tech. It is something I could see myself doing, I just dread the soon-to-be wife complaining about all the time I would spend on the radio.

But I hear you about the police, I think they are legal in my state, but they always wonder.

Thanks for the input!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.