• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another QRP rig for your approval

KG0MN

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Mar 5, 2010
Here are the specs for this radio:

Price: $412.00 shipped to you

Product introduction: this section KN920 shortwave radio specifically for amateur radio development, because of advanced humanized design, cheap price, it's easy to learn to fit at the same time, so is well received by industry the lovers. This paragraph in shortwave radio multichannel transceiver, various work modes, internal circuit and high-speed microcontroller computing storage frequency, control tuning. LCD screen visual display parameters, users can very convenient manual input, storage, frequency, switch mode, etc. The fuselage panels with handles on both sides, is very appropriate also carry radio field to communicate. At the back of the fuselage with a cooling fan, cooling operation during launch.
Receive frequency range:
30 KHz to 29.999999 MHz
Range of transmitting frequency:
3.500 3.9999 MHz
7.000 7.300 MHz
10.100 10.150 MHz
14.000 14.350 MHz
18.068 18.168 MHz
21.000 21.450 MHz
24.890 24.990 MHz
28.000 29.700 MHz
Work mode: SSB, the CW, FM, AM (AM just receive in use).
Storage channel: 100
Transmission power: 1-10 w continuous adjustable (can be adjusted within upper limit, maximum set to 20 w)
LCD screen display: frequency; Power; Working mode; Receive field table; Launch parameters such as standing wave
Power supply: receive: 13.8 v / 0.7 A; Launch: 13.8 v / 4 a
Antenna interface: M
Size: 230 x230x90mm
After packing weight: 3.5 KG
Launch unit circuit structure:
SSB/frequency superheterodyne the CW is 2 times
FM frequency superheterodyne three times
Spurious emission suppression: better than 40 db
Carrier suppression: better than 40 db
Receiver unit circuit structure:
SSB/the CW/frequency superheterodyne AM for 2 times
FM frequency superheterodyne three times
45 MHZ SSB/the CW/AM a intermediate frequency:; Second intermediate frequency: 12 MHZ, 3 intermediate frequency, 455 KHZ for FM
Sensitivity:
SSB/the CW: 0.2 uV / 10 db; AM: 1 uv / 10 db
FM: 0.2 uV
Selective: standard 2.4 KHZ / 6 db SSB mode; 3.6 KHZ / 40 db; AM mode 6 KHZ; The CW continuous tunable bandpass 200 ~ 1200 hz
Mirror phase interference suppression: - 70 db
Attachment: the host a, one hand microphones
Note: this product is a new shortwave radio, because less inventory every time a reservation, please to shoot after communication with the seller, thank you for your cooperation.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Whole ham kn920 kn 920 utrashort wave ham radio station equipment shiortwave SW free shipping on Healthy environmental protection technology co., LTD.

Reactions: 1 person

RADIO

I was reading about it on the x1m group, for the price and if any reviews it should be good..
Only thing I have to say is..
LOOK OUT KENWOOD, YAESU, ICOM, your prices had better drop because the CHINESE boys are going to take the market soon and have already started...

DOCTOR

I was reading about it on the x1m group, for the price and if any reviews it should be good..
Only thing I have to say is..
LOOK OUT KENWOOD, YAESU, ICOM, your prices had better drop because the CHINESE boys are going to take the market soon and have already started...

DOCTOR

I would spend $1200 any day to get a Kenwood/Icom/Yaesu than $400 for a cheap Chinese radio. I am far from being alone in that regard. Unless all the newly minted licensees that don't know a transistor from a hex nut boycott the big three out of sheer lack of knowledge about what actually makes a good spec and flock to the Chinese radios I hardly doubt they will offer too much competition. Some sure for the QRP or backpacker crowd but that is a drop in the bucket. I see this as just like any other product now being made in China as compared to a well established business. The quality is worlds apart.

As for reviews, just beware of the tech ability of the reviewer. A review is only as reliable as the reliability of the reviewer to actually understand the technically specs of the gear. Reports of "It sounds great on the air" or "I made a contact into Europe on 20m with the first try" mean nothing. Any radio should sound good and successful first attempts to Europe and a dime a dozen.

YMMV but I'm just saying.

FWIW I have bought several items directly from China in the past (still waiting for a dash cam to arrive at the moment) and for the price and purpose the quality was "OK" but they are definitely of a lower quality.

The Chinese are more than capable of producing a quality product. If they would get past the habit of cutting corners and knowingly using inferior components, they may succeed. Corruption seems to be the overall driving force that results in crappy products.

They've been making shit for over 5,000 years, you'd think they would have it together by now.

Reactions: 2 people
Couldn't you just get a used IC-703 for around the same price with more features and better quality?

The Chinese are more than capable of producing a quality product. If they would get past the habit of cutting corners and knowingly using inferior components, they may succeed. Corruption seems to be the overall driving force that results in crappy products.

They've been making shit for over 5,000 years, you'd think they would have it together by now.

Agreed. They are quite capable of making a quality product. As you said the problem seems to stem from a long history, almost cultural in nature, of trying to screw someone over in an attempt to capitalize on their success and turn that into a profit for themselves in the cheapest way possible.

Agreed. They are quite capable of making a quality product. As you said the problem seems to stem from a long history, almost cultural in nature, of trying to screw someone over in an attempt to capitalize on their success and turn that into a profit for themselves in the cheapest way possible.

China screwed themselves by specialing in cheapo crap. They boomed in manufacturing and land development for a while but now they have excess products that are not selling and new billion dollar cities that no one lives in because no one in China can afford to. They're also facing massive unemployment in the near future if things keep on track as they are. It's going to be ugly, from what I'm reading, when that bubble pops.

I'm not sure who they're trying to appeal to with these funky "less than entry level" HF radios.

China screwed themselves by specialing in cheapo crap. They boomed in manufacturing and land development for a while but now they have excess products that are not selling and new billion dollar cities that no one lives in because no one in China can afford to. They're also facing massive unemployment in the near future if things keep on track as they are. It's going to be ugly, from what I'm reading, when that bubble pops.

I'm not sure who they're trying to appeal to with these funky "less than entry level" HF radios.

Truer words have not been spoken. Or typed.

However, people feel less bad about destroying a $40 Chinese HT than destroying a $400+ ICOM/Yaesu/Kenwood HT. I think that's why they're going to take over the low end of the market.

Where the problem also sits is in poor quality control, language barriers and very poor return or costly return policies. For me to ship to China for repair would be a huge chunk of change. Having dealt with many companies in Chines electronics I have seen the poor quality control and get it out the door moves. Manuals and other stuff as well are a big chore. I am involved in a few of the groups but they have North American support and are not out there to put the big guns out of business, cant happen with the items mentioned above. I have tested and reviewed many of the YouKits, X1M and KN-920 products. I have also started a number of yahoo groups to discuss these projects. I think the one rope pulling people in is the BUILDING aspect as many hams are again getting into the building and testing which is good to see.

Just my thoughts

Fred
VE3FAL

I tried the Wouxon dual bander not the standard but the KGUV-6D nice radio opened up with the software. But I was allways thinking cheap junk, It is a mental block and so I sold it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.