• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another question for the amateur radio operators

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
Once again i thought the the hams here would have an answer for this.

I have a RCI 2995 that i have a weird problem with. I had not noticed this before but if the channel is quite with very little noise when i put my hand on the mike....any mike the noise goes away. The funny thing is that the noise is not on every channel. Now mind you the noise that i hear is very faint and would not bother any type of communications but it just bugs me that it does this. I have everything grounded well from the antenna i use to the radio it's self. I hear the change if i lay my hand on the mike but not the radio or the meter that's in line. I tried taking the meter out of line and running the coax straight to the radio but still the same problem. I tried removing the ground wire from the case of the radio but it changes nothing (the ground i use for my station is a 7 foot copper rod driven into the ground just outside my radio room with 15 feet of 8 gauge wire between the radio and rod ) The radio works fine and the noise does not bother me anytime i use the radio whether it be on SSB or AM,i just dont understand why it's there and were it's coming from. Oh and as far as i can tell the noise is only on this radio and no other radios that i use.

Anyone experienced this,what can i do to fix it and is this problem something i should be concerned about? Thanks!

Hmm. Maybe just a bit more interesting, hold that FS meter in your hand and then touch the mic. Does the reading change? Which direction? How come? How would I know? That's the 'interesting' part.
- 'Doc

Well for Starters Definitely check you're Mic ground &inside of that Radio as Well could be a Cold solder joint ? But if its not Causing a Problem , I Would not be too Alarmed , Question Though Do you use a Fiberglass Antenna Which are Notorious for Static Build up ? Just a Thought You Could Be disappating the Charge ? when you touch it , doesn't sound too big a problem & maybe try a 3-5kv .1-.01 Red Disc capacitor on the Antenna ground if it is Static it will remove it too Ground for sure !

Quick and dirty fix.... Take a piece of wire a few feet long run it down the center of the mic cord, ground one end to the radio chassis, other to the metal shell of the mic... helps eliminate many noisy situations...

misterfatty-albums-odds-ends-picture365-imgp1963.jpg

misterfatty-albums-odds-ends-picture364-imgp1960.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.