• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna analyzers, where and why?

So, i need new coax anyhow so ill just order 100' of lmr 400uf tomorrow. That will give me enough for the station, some to make jumpers and enough to make another tuned section.
Ill work with the antenna more when i get home from work tomorrow. Hopefully the storms will hold off till later in the evening.

Yo Tokin: I am impressed with your antenna mast there, being able to bring it up and down and tilt over. That's the way to do antennas work. This has a double edge to tho.

Being able to access the antenna real quick and adjust and test can get you lost in space very quickly. One must document all the antennas elements lengths and spacing and were the antenna works and its VSWR. Document changes in the antenna and changes in the VSWR. Many times the antenna measuring enthusiasts can get all balled up and forget just what was done yesterday ands what were the VSWR results.

I know for a fact that some outside HF Antenna Ranges have a strict policy in documenting all the antenna lengths, and spacings ect, and VSWR charts, and making a file that can be reviewed by the Technicians and Engineering dudes. There have been times when no one knew just what has been done to the antenna in terms of adjustments and such so the measuring effort is basically the 3 stodges running around in circles. Then someone has to make the decision to start all over as this burns time and labor and more importantly range time. I myself have run around in circles, and realized my mistake and need to start over.....wonderful!

Simple charts can be made showing the VSWR on a graph with the antennas lengths and spacings.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles'

you keep saying different things, BTW, have you selected the correct velocity on the AA 35 zoom?
Lol, seems i have 2 different coax here. The davis i just bought for jumpers and the rg8 which was supposed to be 8x when i bought it back i 2013.
I didnt see a setting for velocity but ill flip thru the manual. Thank you

Tokin, I don't have any good answers for how to use your new AA 35, but I have some questions about this VF setting issue.

How does this 0.66 VF setting effect your analyzer results in the operating mode you showed us above?

What happens when you're using RG8x coax, with a VF <>0.80%, and the meter is set to 0.66 VF?

How did this value 0.66 VF get applied in the settings? Did you set it, or is it a default setting?

Have you read-up on how and when this VF setting is used by your AA 35?

Could this setting be necessary for the AA 35 to use when the mode is set to determine the line length?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tokin
Ok so this is electrical 1/2 wave rg8x common at .66 velocity coax 11' 11 3/16" into my dl.
Not too shabby.
View attachment 39122

OK, now that you know your VF setting on your AA 35 was set at 0.66 VF, and you used RG8x coax with a different VF...what does this suggest about the readings you posted in your previous images?

This would suggest to me I needed to do some further testing on this very subject...to see how the AA 35 responded if I varied the VF settings and kept using the same coax.

Last edited:
Tokin, I don't have any good answers for how to use your new AA 35, but I have some questions about this VF setting issue.

How does this 0.66 VF setting effect your analyzer results in the operating mode you showed us above?

What happens when you're using RG8x coax, with a VF <>0.80%, and the meter is set to 0.66 VF?

How did this value 0.66 VF get applied in the settings? Did you set it, or is it a default setting?

Have you read-up on how and when this setting is used by your AA 35?

Could this setting be necessary for the AA 35 to use when the mode is set to determine the line length?

Ok, let me explain what happened. I started out using some new davis 8x i recently purchased but didnt have a piece long enough so i used some other coax i had on hand thinking it was 8x. Apparently the coax i had on hand and made the tuned section from is rg8 not rg8x. I purchased the coax years ago from ebay and was supposed to be 8x. I never checked and didnt notice it was rg8 till i learned 8x has foam insulation and what i was using didnt. Thats where the vf of .66 came from, my bad.
Yes that vf setting is for making tuned stubs with this analyzer.
Im going order all new coax this week and start fresh as i believe i can do better. I think i have a grip on this now.
Ive learned quite a bit and i apologize for the extra trip around the block. Your patience has been very much appreciated.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated